Looking for Feedback on a Game

Hi. I just finished making this game as a small project using DirectX. I need want some feedback on it (e.g. it's awesome, amazing stuff, etc...!).

Thanks for any feedback in advance! :)

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/os91csc2s64ntdr/Top-Down_Game.zip

Edit:
Updated the game with the reported missing .dll file. Does it run now?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/65zh20z8cr3rmbs/Standalone_Game.zip
Last edited on
Can someone give feedback on this game please, I have had some people tell me they had trouble running it because of missing a .dll file. Anyone else had this problem?
Sorry OP, it's bad enough you posted to Media-Fire. Without posting the source code very few people will be willing to try it out.

If your friends don't have the correct DLL, it's likely because they don't have what ever framework you used installed on their machine. Did you use SDL, SFML or Allegro? If you wrote this in MS Visual Studio then they will have to install the MS redistributable C Run-time library.
using DirectX
Computergeek01 I think he used DirectX. If his friends are using windows they should have DirectX already installed.
giblit: So then my money would be on OP having used MSVS to make this game and their friends not having installed the C-Run time redistributable. I'd still rather see OP's code. I learned a long time ago that when someone says "Hey, try out my new game" online, it isn't always a game they are throwing at you. I could have been nice and sandboxed it but, *meh*.
What alternatives are there to mediafire that you would recommend I use in the future for posting source-code or projects like this?

@Computergeek01
Why do you think posting source is necessary for getting feedback? All I need to know for now is if the game runs, which I have been told is does not because I didn't include some .dll file; a comment or two on gameplay would be nice if you are feeling generous.

@giblit
I used VS2012 to create this using the DirectX framework. Also, they do have Windows machines and are programmers as well.

The strange thing is I tested this game on a laptop - I developed it on a desktop - to see if it works, and it does; I can only assume it differs by user's computer so I wanted to know if others have the same problem as mentioned with a missing .dll file (specifically it was d3dx9d_43.dll).
Last edited on
Why do you think posting source is necessary for getting feedback?

You mean besides the fact that this is a programming forum and not a game review site? It shows good faith, it let's me know that you didn't slip something inside the binary to try to infect my machine. Now of course you could give me one set of code while the compiled binary is from a different set, but that is a chance I'd be more willing to take.

What is the name of the missing DLL? This will help us ID the package that your friend is missing.
Last edited on
(specifically it was d3dx9d_43.dll).

Your friend needs to install DirectX. It's that simple.

Send him here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

EDIT:
Actually, is this a debug build? (I see a stray 'd' in that dll name)
Try rebuilding your program in Release and having him run it. If he still is missing a "d3dx____" dll, then send him to the above link.
Last edited on
+1 Disch, I looked right at the folder when I downloaded it but for some reason the title 'Debug' didn't set off any alarms in my head. Either way downloading and installing the DirectX package should fix the issue for his friends.
I don't know if the DirectX end user package includes debug binaries. It kind of wouldn't make sense for it to.

You'd get them with the developer package, but that's not something you'd want to ask people to install.
I thought that you had linked to the developer package. OP mentioned that his test group were all programmers anyway so I doubt it would hurt anything. He should eventually recompile for release mode but if this test group is doing any debugging then you don't want to strip the symbols out on them quite yet.
If you are interested, you can take a look at the source code for the project here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/directxtopdowngame/files/Top-Down-Shooter-Source.zip/download

It might be a bit confusing because its a few thousand lines of code, and everything was not done the optimal way due to time constraints to get this finished.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.