Local Network Data

Using Visual C++ Windows Forms application I have written a program that is meant to store data anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours and runs in the background of multiple computers. I have this data being stored in dictionary(Map) form for now and the program works fine. I eventually want to network this program so they will share the data between each other. Since I wanted to keep this as a local program(So it's not reliant on an internet connection) I was thinking .csv or access file stored in a shared windows file. From my understanding of Windows Forms, It should be pretty easy to marry an Access file with the dataGridView I'm using. Can anyone give me any insight on the best way to get a shared Local network folder set up and how to get visual studios to recognize this folder on install. Even If I have to set the path within the interface of the program.

I understand as an alternative I can use SQL file to store data but I found that approach quite unnecessary. I can also connect it to a mysql DB on the web but that would make it internet reliant and that's something I'm trying to avoid.
Last edited on
I eventually want to network this program so they will share the data between each other.

You've proposed using MySQL. You can install MySQL locally, and point your program at the local instance.

If you decide to use your program concurrently on a LAN, then you just need to ensure that ll your programs can reach the database.

I don't see anything wrong with that.
You setup a local network share with the netshare API. As for recognizing the share on installation, you don't because it would be ambiguous in some cases. It's pretty standard for any application that connects to a DB to ask the installer what the path to it is.

That's all academic of course. SQL is probably the way for you to go.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.