Need Guidance on what GUI for C++

Hello,
I am ready to start looking at what framework to learn to produce a GUI for C++. I am really only interested in Windows at this point and was wondering if there might be an advantage to go with .NET or Qt. I have looked a little at Qt and it seems that there is a steeper learning curve than would be for me with .NET. I guess what I'm really asking is, is there a reason I shouldn't use .NET? Thanks.
Microsoft said that they plan to make .NET multi platform, so currently is a matter of personal view (or job requirement).

Solution? Learn both.
QT is well documented and easy in its own IDE (QT creator).
It contains many examples and a few videotutorials, plus 90% of the classes and methods are documented.
It also works on linux, mac, (In time four days, I made a fully featured file syncer, working on most platforms, allows for multiple folders, filtering out folders, filtering out files with the usual wildcard-regex system, sync only for bigger/tinier/newer/older files, checking for sync status and inverse sync and more...) and allows for Mobile phone development (I personally use it for Android).
Also, QT creator has a built-in gui designer, so you can focus on building the actual core of your program.

But then... maybe I'm slightly biased towards it. Never liked .net since many code examples I saw were not actual C++, they didn't even share some of the syntax.

Learning both is probably a waste of time unless you're really interested into both of them, Microsoft still needs to build the crossplatform stuff, where QT has that part ready since years, and is their primary focus.
Well, for the record, I've decided to go with QT. At least at first I'm going to use QT creator. I see that you can use QT with Visual Studio but it's a rather lengthy process and I'll tackle that later. Thanks for all your ideas.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Just make sure you understand are fully happy with the licensing terms of Qt.
Thanks for the heads-up Grey Wolf. I have also been looking at installation of it and it's quite a bear (on Win 7). It doesn't look like it's all their fault as there have been some issues with Visual Studio redistributables, but still...
Grey Wolf, this is Greentoad55. Somehow I changed my username to ntman12 so I guess I'm stuck with that. I got the installation issues solved I believe but I was blown away by the license issues. The way they dot every I and cross every T in legalese makes me hesitate. By the way, I did read from recent posts that Microsoft is not really advocating C++ with .NET. (They may possibly when they get the cross-platform stuff going, I don't know.)

Thanks for all the feedback!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.