Checking for socket availablity

closed account (2hfG1hU5)
Hello
I was writing a program that made use of Winsock, and when I did this everything worked fine as long as I was only on one computer using the loop-back address (127.0.0.1) but as soon as I tried to communicate with another computer nothing really went right, it seemed that there was still a signal getting through but not from the client application. So I suppose I need a way to either filter data coming through, check for open sockets, or something else that hopefully you guys can tell me and then teach me how to do whatever I am required to do.

Thank You in Advance.

-Druidude
Last edited on
What are you trying to accomplish?

Is use of Windows' sockets library required, or can you use a cross-platform library?
closed account (2hfG1hU5)
I only require to be in Windows, but if I need to I could also go cross platform, I dont need to be specific but I can be.

I am trying to learn HTML and just for the hell of it I decided I wanted to be able to send that to other computers without getting a domain name. Then I decided that would be a good c++ project, figured I could learn lots from doing something like this
I personally recommend using liblacewing:
http://lacewing-project.org/

You can use the webserver classes to code your web server - check out the documentation and examples. Although the library is written in C, it is designed like a C++ library and I recommend using C++.

Note that port forwarding is something you will need to look into if you have a router or modem, and also be aware that ISPs may block specific ports regardless.
You appear to have a problem with addressing. You need to post your code that handles connections.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.