Some basic newbie GUI questions

I’m an old fashion batch data programmer who just retired and I’m writing my first GUI application with Visual Studio. The first thing you need to know before you can research how to do something is what that something is called, not what it does! So, here are a couple of newbie GUI questions for the group!

I’m writing an application that will have a single line of buttons and dropdowns to control the display of data, and that display will be contained in a WebBrowser control. I’m sure that I will get some type of notification from Windows that the size of my window has change so I can resize and reposition my controls and display. Question one, what is the name of the size change notification and what are the tricks to make my WebBrowser control start XX pixels from the top of the screen (leave room for the controls) and sized to be full width are reach to the bottom of the window?

One of my dropdowns will be a Tools list that will bring up a series of maintenance screens, so here is my newbie question two; If I want to use the same window for display and maintenance, what are the key words I should research for how to turn off / hide the WebBrowser control and replace it with various other controls based on which maintenance Tool has been requested?

WM_SIZE or WM_SIZING. This isn't a comprehensive list of all of the possible messages, but it is most of the most common ones: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff468922(v=vs.85).aspx

Unfortunately MSDN in their infinite wisdom has the input loop messages scattered all over the place. At least, for the most part, they are in the category that they apply to.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.