debug in windows 7 or higher

Not sure if this is the right place to post this and appologize in advance if this is. Next semester we will be using debug mode and was just curious about it so I tried to run it on my other ccomputer using windows 7 and the command does not work and we will be doing it a virtual machine using windows 98 so it will work fine there. However when I get in the real world and need to use it in a windows 7 or higher system how would I go about this? Any link to a tutorial or reference material for me to read up on would be much appreciated
For which IDE?
Visual studios is what we are using for coding but when we go into debug we are going to be taught in cmd.exe
As long as your application is compiled in 'debug' mode, the built in debugger should be able to work with your app. You may have to launch Visual Studio as an elevated process in order to enable the 'SeDebug' privilege but that should be it. What kind of error are you getting?

cmd.exe is just a shell, it sounds like you're going to be using the default debugger for that version of MSVS but you should try to find out if you intend on practicing. There are a few third party debuggers that would be fine choices.
Rusty old bells are ringing for me....win98 ... cmd.exe... debug....

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491040.aspx

these low level debuggers are were great for learning the basics, examining memory, modify data while at a BP, stepping. All the rudimentary tasks can be explained without the clutter of the more powerful features that we expect from a modern system.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.