Compile times

On the project I'm working on we are running into issues with massive compile times. He have a number of different classes defined in header files and every time a new member function gets added to one of the core objects it can cause massive almost 15-20 minutes compile times. Given the stage of development we're in we are currently making a lot of these changes. While I think this will become less and less frequent over time it won't ever go away and so we've been looking for ways to improve things.

The solution that we seem to be gravitating towards though I don't really like so I was hoping for some better ideas. The solution we're moving towards is to eliminate member functions and replace everything, but the getters and setters with non-member functions that use those getters and setters. Then define each of these functions in it's own hpp so it can be included on a need only basis. The idea is that this should only require the compiler to rebuild the programs actually using that one method and nothing else.

I feel like our overall design is really going to suffer from this, but I don't have many better solutions.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.