possible to make a console byte-graphics editor that outputs to C++ syntax?

closed account (2EwbqMoL)
sorry if this is spam but...

so I'm nowhere near ready to try it yet, but I'm working on a fun little game right now, and I saw examples online of something unrelated, but neat that could be implemented into it - an animated version of the american flag using bits of various color in the console - stubled upon it after figuring out console colors -http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/84889/Fun-with-the-Console-Animating-the-American-Flag-V

now Im thinking what this guy did here could be made a lot more simple if someone coded an app, even in visual basic, god forbid, or C++ that could draw square bytes of equal size on a grid roughly the size of, or proportionate to, the console window, and then output either just the coordinates of each byte, or preferrably even just output the entire C++ code for drawing them in windows... It would be easier to create multiple 'sprites' out of bytes, that are more complex with such an editor than by mapping it all out in code on the spot.

I think it would be wonderfully fun, and allow for more complex console graphics in retro-esque games... for example, my current game is about being trapped in a computer trying to escape a command-line world with a special helper (a program that hasnt gone rogue but has gained sentient intelligence, while the rest have become virus infected and crazed). It would be epic awesome to be able to include something like what he did in there as well, instead of even bothering to upgrade it by using SDL, which I originally planned.

I'm thinking, if nobody else does this or has done this first, I may create such a program, or at least try, even if its in BASIC, and release it open source if I could finish it...

although im not stopping anyone more capable than me of trying it first ;)
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.