is MinGW lacking some functionality in windows.h?

closed account (2EwbqMoL)
I have some code (the specifics dont really matter for this question), that compiles and runs fine with Visual Studio 2013/VC++, but in TDM-GCC(minGW) the same code compiles, yet doesnt actually function -- there is an enum for color settings, and instead of outputting color, it outputs the integer each color is set to.

while it does not cause an error, because the code itself is correct (to me, it seems that the variables it modifies in windows.h, instead of being utilized from the library, are being established in my code like they arent in there), but it also does not work (as its supposed to at least, it does run per say).

I was just wondering if the MinGW windows.h was different than the official microsoft library in terms of some minor functionalities (like some console stuff, I know there are differences in the API but I thought they were minor)...

it really doesnt bother me too much, because I end up using VS on windows anyway, but it would be useful to know the differences if I ever wanted to use my other compiler for some reason... (I kind of like GCC better, because im a linux user at heart, but on windows the performance difference seems notable with the MS compiler, and I refuse to use intel because it is biased against VIA and AMD)
I use both compilers heavily spiroth, and I'd say they are highly compatible, but not 100% equivalent. I personally prefer GCC also, but have had more issues with it than with VC++. I heard another individual I respect use the term that VC is somewhat more forgiving. I think that might be a fair statement. You haven't shown any code, but it sounds like your line in MinGW might need a cast to get the compiler to interpret it correctly. I have found that situation to be fairly common. Hope this helps!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.