VS proggie port

I'm using Visual Studio 2010 express (the free version). I've made a simple program. It compiled correctly and I have the .exe

When I try to start it on another computer it won't open. All I get is a brief spinning circle indicating that something is happening, then, nothing.

Am I not allowed to make programs that can be used by others because I'm using the free version? Or am I doing it wrong?
I think you need the corresponding resdistributable. E.g.:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5555

The Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2010 installed.

have a read about release mode compilation and static libs too.
Last edited on
I always wondered why I sometimes had to download c++ redistributable for some programs. Guess I now know why. I was under the impression that all .exe's could work by themselves. Do you think it's possible to make an installer in VS Express that will install cppRedist? Going to have to learn to make installers eventually.

JUst link the C++ runtime statically into your program, no redistributable will be ever needed. For that you use /MT compiler command-line switch.
I can do this in VS?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.