How do you make a game server or make a multiplayer game.

I've been searching all over the web on how to make your game be multiplayer or how to make a server. And when you make the server how do you give it DDOS protection? Also make it so people can't find my ip because they can just ping my game server thing or website and find where website/game is being hosted and they can trace me down.

I really need help and all help is appreciated.

I don't know if you do this in c++ or what but yeah...

Thank you.
Get a networking library like liblacewing or the one in boost, and write the server code. This is no trivial task - it will take months to learn the ins and outs of networking.
ZippyEthan wrote:
how do you give it DDOS protection?
One does not simply "give it DDoS protection".
ZippyEthan wrote:
make it so people can't find my ip
You don't seem to understand how the internet works. The server has to be hosted from somewhere, and you need to know the IP of the server to connect to it. A domain just gives a name to an IP address, it doesn't hide it.

On thing to remember: Never give the client any responsibility or control. The server should be in charge of all game logic.
Last edited on
And when you make the server how do you give it DDOS protection?
This is a pretty broad topic. There are plenty of things you can do but the only way you can truly be DDOS free is by not having an online game. An entire series articles could be written about avoiding this, and thankfully there is plenty of information online. My advice would to be not to worry about this in the beginning, but focus on making your game actually worthy to DDOS. DDOS attacks aren't easy to coordinate, and it's pretty unlikely you'll be targeted unless you're a large service like a well known game site/MMO.

Also make it so people can't find my ip because they can just ping my game server thing or website and find where website/game is being hosted and they can trace me down.
There really isn't anything you can do about it unfortunately.

Boost ASIO is a relatively low level library compared to something like Raknet. You might just want to get a solution working with [relatively] little effort and get going. That's where Raknet is great. It's a industry tested solution that's licensed under the free and open source MIT license.

If neither of those libraries interest you you could go for an even lower level solution which you would use Windows' Winsock stack and POSIX sockets. It isn't something that you probably will be interested in unless you really like low-level network programming, so I personally wouldn't choose that if you aren't.

Anyways, I could give a lot more in depth information if you gave me a bit of information on game mechanics.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.