Trouble Changing File Associations

I have some input files with .spv extensions (something I made up). I also have an app I created which reads these input files. I am having difficulty making Windows 7 associate my app with these files. I'd like to be able to double-click on one of these .spv files and have my app open up. Earlier tonight I could do it. But somehow, the association got changed and I can not change it back. No matter what I try Windows will not let me associate these files with my app. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Do you want to do this manually or write the code to have your program do it for you? If you intend your program to be used by other people, I suggest the latter.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc144156%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

It should be noted that file associations are normally only handled by installer/uninstaller, as it requires elevation.
> Do you want to do this manually or write the code to have your program do it for you?
> If you intend your program to be used by other people, I suggest the latter.

This question only occurred to me last night as I was struggling to do the file association manually. If I'm having so much trouble doing this, how are my users going to fare? Not well. So it might be a good idea to have my app do the file association. I'll take a look at your link today.

Thanks.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.