Need Working IDE for Vista

Was told to use Codeblocks but after a few days it malfunctioned. Was told to download older version of Microsoft Visual Studio but it seems maybe 2008 was last compatible Vista VS? As far as I can tell Microsoft only provides 2012+ downloads of VS (see link).

https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs

Can anyone lead me to an IDE I can use on my old Windows Vista to program in C++ with creating online games as the ultimate goal and beginner learning to code as the immediate goal?

You could use Netbeans:
https://netbeans.org/features/index.html

They do have a plugin for C++/C Compiler.

I hope this helps you.

-Hirokachi
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
It looks like Visual Studio 2015 will work with Vista and XP. I know it works with Win 7.

Visual Studio 2015 Compatibility
https://www.visualstudio.com/visual-studio-2015-compatibility-vs

Having an OS earlier than Win 8/8.1 being able to create Universal Windows, Windows Store and Windows Phone apps is not difficult, but those earlier OSes can't run the apps anyway.

VS 2015 Community is free, I recommend downloading the ISO instead of the web install.
https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

A custom install is required to get Visual C++, one of the reasons why I suggest getting the ISO.

VS 2015 Community doesn't require an install license number, just create a free online personalization account. Just supply a valid email account.

The VS 2015 IDE can be a bit intimidating at first, but after using it for a while I am gradually setting it up to my likes.

Did I mention that VS 2015 Community is free? ;)
Last edited on
So in a nutshell you are all telling me Visual Studio Community 2015 DOES work on a Vista. I just got bad forum info somewhere and panicked when Codeblocks stopped functioning. I assumed Microsoft is at war with us Vista users so it made sense to me they would try to cut us out. But you are saying they didn't. Well I found a Visual Studio Community 2008 version just to be on the safe side I'm using it.

I originally avoided Microsoft Visual Studio and C++ for Eclipse (someone on my PC already programs with Java) because the download pages on both sites are way to confusing.

RANT:
There simply is no speaking in lamens terms with intelligent people. I need a hillbilly to come translate for me. Code itself is super easy to understand. Microsoft's download site is not.

I'm learning code for the first time. I chose the language C++. I just want something that runs on an old Windows Vista without screwing up and making me confused. My ultimate goal is to make computer games.

Besides download sites, I have a harder time working the software itself than learning the code. Now I find little help when it comes to "saving" and "opening" files. Push a save/open button and get way to much info for a newbie to understand.

C++ isn't difficult to understand but the people who make IDE's for it are. No wonder few people bother learning this stuff. You have to learn tons of stuff just to learn stuff.
END RANT
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
Jencrystal wrote:
So in a nutshell you are all telling me Visual Studio Community 2015 DOES work on a Vista.

I was in error.

VS 2015 can be installed on Win 7 or above. It can create apps for XP and above, including Vista.

The latest VS version that will install on Vista is 2008, as cire linked.

One "problem" with VS 2008 is it is not C++11/C++14 compliant.
I use Visual C++ 2010 Express on Win XP. According to PC Advisor it runs on Vista 32 and 64bit.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/download/developer-programming/microsoft-visual-studio-2010-express-iso-216/
Thx Furry & Thomas.

I could not get 2010 to work. Errors when attempting to install.

I saw your post about Netbeans, Hirokachi, and I would really just like to find a program that is set up for C++ mainly without me looking for extra this and thats.

I kept using 2008 Visual Studio on my Vista until I got to trying to make a Random Number Generator and then it went all screwy on me. I used

#include random
default_random_engine randomGenerator;

but it didn't recognize the class type and I tried

mt19937 randomGenerator;

as well but still nothing. I'm about to give up on C++ and study Java instead. Maybe Java will be friendlier to my old Windows Vista PC.
I kept using 2008 Visual Studio on my Vista until I got to trying to make a Random Number Generator and then it went all screwy on me. I used

#include random
default_random_engine randomGenerator;

Not really surprising since that code requires C++11.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I believe Visual Studio is much better, however if you need C++11 features whilst using Vista your best option is to just use something like Code::Blocks. I highly recommend updating your OS and using Visual Studio 2015, lol.
Visual Studio is just an IDE, if you want to use C++11 features and use Microsoft compiler (the same one as bundled with Visual Studio) download Microsoft SDK and configure Code::Blocks to use it. It will run just fine on Windows Vista.

Or just use cl.exe from the command line.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.