Question about Windows Form

Hey all. I recently was learning how to hook up MySQL databases to a windows form application and I just had a few questions. Generally speaking, are windows forms apps developed in VS suitable for data-entry work environments? I want to build a few for some simple data-entry work that would hook up to an online database and just use the data from there. Would you guys recommend using one of these GUIs from a Windows Form App for a small task, or would you recommend something else/do it another way? I have a fair-share of c++ programming knowledge within the VS IDE but I don't consider myself all-knowing when it comes to stuff like this, I like to here other opinions before I choose a path to go down.
Sounds like a good idea to me Matt. The point is to get the data entered and that's likely the easiest way to do it, especially so since it sounds like you already have a working app. If there are situations where data entry might take place where a live connection to the database doersn't exist, then things get a bit more complicated.
Ahh ok good. It just seemed like to simple of an idea for me to consider it to be something worth developing, but yes I have made several proof of concept applications that do what they have to do and access the database correctly now it's just a matter of cleaning up the code.
PS Any other input would be greatly appreciated :)
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I would not recommend doing Windows Forms Applications [.net] with C++/CLI or C++ (not even Microsoft recommend it).

Windows Forms are good for small tasks (and more), especially if you team it with something like Syncfusions Essential Studio, with their community license, but I would recommend C#.

Well, C++/CLI (used for .net) and C++ get badly mixed up. It was designed to allow legacy code to be wrapped in a .net assembly but often gets abused by novices.
I'm using C++/CLI if that counts but I haven't learned C# yet
Last edited on
Well, he's almost there where things stand right now Grey Wolf. Sounds like you want him to abandon what progress he's already made, and learn another language, which, after having done so, would still ultimately rely upon the .NET framework, which is where he's presently at. I mean, there's nothing wrong with learning more programming languages, if that's what a person wants to do, but if the present task is attainable with knowledge one already has, I don't see anything wrong with doing that. Just my opinion. I'm sure C# is worthwhile to learn.
Thanks, I'll put C# on my to do list haha
freddie1 wrote:
Sounds like you want him to abandon what progress he's already made, and learn another language
No, I was just answering his question "Would you guys recommend using one of these GUIs from a Windows Form App for a small task, or would you recommend something else/do it another way?". Microsoft no longer has a project for Winforms using C++/CLI in Visual Studio. (one day I'll look out the reference where Microsoft say they don't recommend doing Winforms with C++/CLI)

Edit: Bloody autocorrect
Last edited on
But I'm assuming it would be good enough to do the job right
Yes.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.