Performance anomoly

Hi,

In the sample code below there are two for loops iterating over <vararray>s and a simple user written class, performing Y[] = X[] * c. The vararrays version takes half the time of the user struct version; and I'm trying to work out why:
V:\>test
Valarray explicit took 0.100871531 seconds
SizedArray explicit took 0.159492015 seconds

The assembler output from the compiler for the two loop bodies is identical excepting register selection:

$LL6@main:
	movsdx	xmm0, QWORD PTR [r8+rcx]
	add	rcx, 8
	sub	rdx, 1
	mulsd	xmm0, xmm6
	movsdx	QWORD PTR [rcx-8], xmm0
	jne	SHORT $LL6@main

$LL3@main:
	movsdx	xmm0, QWORD PTR [r12+rbx]
	add	rbx, 8
	sub	rsi, 1
	mulsd	xmm0, xmm6
	movsdx	QWORD PTR [rbx-8], xmm0
	jne	SHORT $LL3@main

I'm running the loops over 20,000,000 elements, so everything outside of the above code is moot.

I thought alignment might be a problem as the user struct used malloc, so I switch that to aligned_malloc; and applied __declspec( align( 32) ) to the struct definition, but the performance difference remains.

Switching the ordering of the two loops doesn't change anything; so I don't think this is down to cold versus warm cache.

Basically, I've run out of ideas for why two apparently identical loops should run consistently at such different speeds; and I'm hoping someone here will have some ideas.

Note: The built-in timing code is being cross checked by also instrumenting the code externally using VerySleepyCS and the results are always consistent:
	#pragma warning(disable: 4530 )
	#include <conio.h>
	#include <cstdlib>
	#include <cstdio>
	#include <valarray>
	#include <vector>
	#include <windows.h>
	#include <intrin.h>

using namespace std;

template<typename T>
	    struct __declspec( align( 16 ) ) SizedArray {
	    T *p;
	    size_t elems;
	    SizedArray( size_t size ) {
	        p = (T*)_aligned_malloc( sizeof( T ) *size, 32 );
	        elems = size;
	    };
	          T &operator[]( size_t i )       { return p[ i ]; };
	    const T  operator[]( size_t i ) const { return p[ i ]; };
	    size_t size() { return elems; };
	};

const size_t VSIZE = 20000000I64;

int main() {
	    valarray<double> X( VSIZE ), Y( VSIZE ), Z( VSIZE );
	    SizedArray<double> Xs( VSIZE ), Ys( VSIZE );
	    double const c = 3.141592653;
	    __int64 start, stop;

for( int i=0; i < VSIZE; ++i ) X[ i ] = Xs[ i ] = rand();

getch();

SetThreadAffinityMask( GetCurrentThread(), 1 );     Sleep( 0 );
	    SetThreadPriority( GetCurrentThread(), THREAD_PRIORITY_TIME_CRITICAL );

start = __rdtsc(); _ReadWriteBarrier();

0.14s	    for( size_t i=0; i < VSIZE; ++i ) Y[ i ] = X[ i ] * c;

_ReadWriteBarrier(); stop = __rdtsc();
	    printf( "Valarray explicit took %.9f seconds\n", (double)( stop - start ) / 2.4e9 );

start = __rdtsc(); _ReadWriteBarrier();

0.27s	    for( size_t i=0; i < VSIZE; ++i ) Ys[ i ] = Xs[ i ] * c;

_ReadWriteBarrier(); stop = __rdtsc();
	    printf( "SizedArray explicit took %.9f seconds\n", (double)( stop - start ) / 2.4e9 );

return 0;
	}

Not sure if this is the done thing here, but I found the source of the discrepancy: page faults; so in case someone comes looking in the future.

The vararray allocator initialises the memory allocated, thus every page in the allocation has been touched and every page has an entry in the page table; and subsequent accesses do not cause page faults.

The homebrew struct constructor, regardless of whether it used new[] or malloc() or _align_malloc() or even VirtualAlloc( MEM_COMMIT | MEM_RESERVE ),
wasn't initialising the memory, thus the first access to each page during the instrumented code caused a page fault.

A loop in the struct's constructor that touches one byte in every 4096 byte page "cured" the problem.

closed account (48bpfSEw)
thank you for sharing your discovery of this phenomenon. how did you find out that this code produces page faults?
SysInternals:ProcessExplorer->Performance Tab. (And a guess!)

If further explanation would be useful, indicate, and I'll work up a detailed explanation.

Cheers, Buk

Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.