wxSmith - "wchar_t must be available"

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I have some experience in C++ but I am brand new to trying to make a wxSmith GUI.

I followed some instructions on the internet on how to set it up, so I have;

Installed wxSmith
Set up a project on codeblocks

I tried to build it once it was done, as per the instructions, but I got a wx/setup.h needs to be included message. I found this to be a very common problem and so I found the solution on the internet.

However, now when I build the program I get the following error;

mingw32-g++.exe -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -Wall -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -std=c++11 -IC:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include -I\mswd -IC:\Code_Goes_Here\nearlyobsolete -c C:\Code_Goes_Here\nearlyobsolete\nearlyobsoleteApp.cpp -o obj\Debug\nearlyobsoleteApp.o
In file included from C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/debug.h:17:0,
from C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/defs.h:743,
from C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/event.h:14,
from C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/app.h:19,
from C:\Code_Goes_Here\nearlyobsolete\nearlyobsoleteApp.h:13,
from C:\Code_Goes_Here\nearlyobsolete\nearlyobsoleteApp.cpp:10:
C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/chartype.h:37:6: error: #error "wchar_t must be available"
#error "wchar_t must be available"

I have looked to the internet for answers but couldnt find anything useful so I have signed up and posted a question here!

I am using a dell laptop with windows 10. I have codeblocks 16.01 and wxSmith 3.1.0

Thanks in advance

Tony
What compiler are you using? MinGW?

Is this your first project with wxwidgets as well? Did you compile it from source or use an existing installation? I had to use compile wxwidgets for mingw before I could use it at all.

wchar_t is a wide character type, in windows I believe it's defined as a 16bit(?) type- it is used in the wstring implementation that I think wxwidgets uses for its wxString type (it's been a while since I spent any time in the wxwidgets source) it's odd that wchar_t wouldn't be available, I don't remember if there is a prerequisite include (like windows.h) to make that available under windows subsystems, but we should explore that once these other questions are answered.
Yer I am using MinGW, i'm all pretty new to this but I think I have downloaded it and installed it correctly.

This is the first project I am doing so I guess I am compiling from source. Thanks for your help wizebin
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.