Do we use ODBC just to avoid putting some extra code?

Hello ladies and gentlemen.
In control panel there is ODBC drivers to connect databases to the project to one of the programming languages that we use. Is ODBC an API to connect MS Access or SQL Server or others to avoid typing some extra code?
Can we avoid ODBC connectivity in control panel instead typing some extra code? Just curiosity.like PHP and some others no need to go to control panel instead put some code inside the IDE.I mean wouldn't it be cooler if we don't go to control panel to link the database to our project?
No answer?
The problem of ODBC is that it does not free you from handling database specific stuff. And it is actually not simple to use the API. See:

http://www.easysoft.com/developer/languages/c/odbc_tutorial.html

Several vendors provide drivers. But usually it is easier to use the native API.

I mean wouldn't it be cooler if we don't go to control panel to link the database to our project?
How do you link the database to your project using the control panel?

Actually you can avoid the control panel but why wouldl you implement things that can be easier done with that tool?
How do you link the database to your project using the control panel?
By going to control panel - administrative tools - ODBC Drivers and then system DSN for all users or user DSN and add the database finally specify the location of the databe.
Sorry, my question is not specific to just C++.
why wouldl you implement things that can be easier done with that tool?
For the purpose of understanding.
Thanks for your answer.
Been doing strictly ODBC for years. Love it. I refuse to allow extra dependencies in my code,so I do ODBC direct. I've provided several tutorials here about it. If my memory serves me right I can create a stand alone x64 app connecting to anything in about 5 or 6 k.
Thanks,
Sorry it took too long to reply.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.