About programming softwares.

What programming software do you recommend to use in windows?
Last edited on
What do you mean with programming software, compiler, IDE...?
I recommend Visual Studio 2015/2017 as an IDE because of its handy shortcuts, design, and debugging capabilities, but I personally I often use MinGW which is essentially the Windows version of the GCC compiler. Sometimes just command-line for one-file projects, other times with the CodeBlocks IDE.

This guy keeps an up-to-date MinGW distribution with added libraries like boost and libpng baked in.
https://nuwen.net/mingw.html

Notepad++ is also, as the name implies, a substantially better version of Window's default notepad.exe. I use it when writing small programs, or looking at things like markup.
Last edited on
you will struggle to beat Microsoft Visual Studio, Eclipse CD/T is also very good but feels quite clunky (to me) compared to VS. NetBeans is also good, but again, personally i don't think it comes anywhere close to VS.
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
A couple of nice IDE features with Visual Studio is the ease of creating 32- and 64-bit executables if the source is properly written for either.

As well as easily switchable use of runtime libraries either linked inline in the executable or linked to a system DLL.

If you are going to specialize in Windows only programming using VS is almost a no-brainer.
If you're asking about making programs with GUI then Microsoft's Visual Studio 2008,2010 and 2013 are the best in my opinion
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.