Win API or not?

i wanna ask, what is the best of windows programming for C++ now? is it still using win API or is there any better one?
The windows API is a vast playing field covering file systems, networking, GUI, graphics, video, sound, etc etc.

What aspect of it are you concerned about?

closed account (z05DSL3A)
Windows Runtime (WinRT) is the "successor"* of Windows API (Win32 API). It supports development in C++/WinRT (standard C++) and C++/CX (Component Extensions, a language based on C++) [C++/WinRT is recommended], as well as other scripting and managed languages.

A good starting point...
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/cpp-and-winrt-apis/

Edit Windows Runtime (WinRT) is NOT to be confused with Windows RT.
Last edited on
Alternatively there are several 'high level' and somtimes platform-independent GUI-libraries available, as i.e. wxWidgets (that i'm using), Qt, fltk etc..

I use wxWidgets because it is open source, well documented and easy to learn. Also there is not so much 'overhed' needed to be programmed 'manually'. So i.e. a resizable and closeable main-window can be created with only a few program-lines like this:
#include <wx/wx.h>

class MyApp: public wxApp {
    virtual bool OnInit();
};

IMPLEMENT_APP(MyApp)

class MyFrame : public wxFrame {
    public:
        MyFrame();
};

bool MyApp::OnInit() {
    MyFrame *frame = new MyFrame();

SetTopWindow(frame);

return true;
}

MyFrame::MyFrame() : wxFrame( NULL, -1, _("Test"), wxPoint(250, 150), wxSize(450, 350)) {
    Show(true);
}
@artgan @grey: ok
how about the others? any other opinions?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.