Disable mouse scroll wheel button permanently

Hello everyone, I have a question that's bothering me. So I have a friend whose mouse scroll wheel just broke, but not mechanically, it's just went crazy - scrolling by itself without any input. I wrote a simple c++/batch program, which asks you if you wanna disable scroll button by modifying values in registry:

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WheelScrollChars" /t REG_SZ /d 0 /f
reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WheelScrollLines" /t REG_SZ /d 0 /f

Unfortunately, it works only in some applications e.g. chrome. Like when he opens Adobe Premiere or any additional software, the scroll actually is not disabled - it keeps scrolling by itself randomly up and down. Yeah, I know that's not a problem to buy a new mouse, but I'm just curious if there's any other way around it. And I found a piece of software called X-Mouse Button Control (written in C/C++ I guess), which actually have an option to disable scrolling permanently but it only works while program is running. I tried to reverse its binary in IDA although couldn't find actual function used to disable scrolling in whole system, not just couple of Windows apps.

So I thought I'd ask, maybe you have some ideas if there are possibilities in C++ to make it disabled in whole Windows (within any application running)? I guess if someone did it via this software, X-Mouse Button Control, it's probably possible but I haven't found anything yet. Anyway, any help is much appreciated and I'm looking forward to your replies, thanks!
Last edited on
Are you rebooting after running your registry-modifying script?
Yes, they are modified correctly but doesn't apply to all of the system applications, just couple of them which is frustrating when wheel button starts randomly scrolling. Doesn't happen in Chrome which is good, but my goal is to disable wheel permanently just like X-Mouse Button Control does - so I'm looking for a solution to use in my own script rather than using this app.
it may also be possible to point to a generic no-wheel mouse driver. Those work with almost all mice, even the fancy ones, but they don't support the extra buttons and such. I don't know if they still have a no wheel one though, wheels on everything for a while now.
Yes, they are modified correctly

That's not what I asked. Do you reboot after running your script? It's possible that doing so reloads components (e.g., a driver) with the new settings.

Anyway, if that's not the problem, supposedly you can turn off "Vertical Scrolling" under "Wheel" with this:
https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-ca/downloads/mouse-keyboard-center

Also: https://www.keepthetech.com/2016/11/disable-scroll-wheel-in-windows10.html
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.