Remote Frame Buffer protocol Programming

please i want to ask something , what Do i need to study should i want to get into RFB (Remote frame buffer protocol) Programming for VNC Clients? What exactly are the interfaces i should have an understanding about? Please i do need to know.
Are you looking for:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6143

Or are you asking how to understand what it describes?
Last edited on
Hi Niccolo,

I am asking for everything it basically describes, basically what i must do in this case to achieve something like VNC.

From my thinking , a VNC is a program which is supposed to send graphical images (screenshot from place to place) meaning i can use Winsock to achieve something like this, like screenshot and send the images in a serialised format and also capture mouse and keyboard inputs while listening on port 5900... isnt it?
Yes, but what I'm trying to figure out is if you're experienced enough to understand the document, or if what you really need is a course in C/C++ in order to be able to consume the document.

For an experienced engineer, documents like that link do the trick, along with some minor additional digging around and experimentation. It is a protocol, and to follow it one needs mainly the familiarity with dense, terse and detailed documentation.

To get there takes an engineer, a developer of experience and knowledge sufficient to follow the protocol.

Read this line form your post:

I am asking for everything it basically describes,

That amounts to a book report, on that document. It's a bit much to put into posts limited to 8K characters.

What you might want to do is to find an open source VNC client, with source code.

Perhaps TightVNC.

Then, consume that code, based on whatever license it offers, to fold into your product requirements.

Exactly! consuming the code apparently is what i want, are there Class libraries (*.lib) files i can use in Visual Studio or something? i need some good clarification.
Google for TightVNC, the website has a good discussion, and basically you'll have to pick up from there.

To be clear, "lib" files are binary libraries. Class libraries are source code.

I haven't used TightVNC, but with some ingenuity and experimentation you'll probably have something rather close to what you're looking for.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.