CreateThread - child thread and infinite loops

This seems rather silly... but I have to ask.

When CreateThread is called, and a thread is successfully created, let's say that thread enters an infinite loop, e.g.:
#include <windows.h>
#include <iostream>
DWORD WINAPI ThreadFunc(void* data)
{
     while (1) { 
        std::cout << "ping" << std::endl;
        Sleep(1000);
    }
}

int main()
{
    HANDLE handle = CreateThread(NULL, 0, ThreadFunc, NULL, 0, NULL);
    CloseHandle(handle);

while (1) { Sleep(60 * 1000); }
}

If I Ctrl+C to force the process to stop, is Windows smart enough to also kill the child thread, or does this create "thread leak" that exists even after my process is stopped?

(Note that CloseHandle is designed to not actually stop the thread, so it shouldn't have an effect here, but for purposes of the argument, let's say that a logic error prevented CloseHandle from being called.)

Edit: I think I found the answer here
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4666628/do-child-threads-exit-when-the-parent-thread-terminates
The SO post is tagged for Windows, and states
There is no parent/child relationship between threads. If thread A creates thread B and then thread A terminates, then thread B will continue to execute.

The exception to this is when the main thread (that is, the thread that runs the main() function) terminates [...] the process terminates and all other threads stop.

So by this, I conclude that killing the main process will kill the child thread which is in an infinite loop.
I could also test this by writing a file:
#include <windows.h>
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>
DWORD WINAPI ThreadFunc(void* data)
{
    std::ofstream ofs("temp.txt");

unsigned i = 0;
    while (1)
    { 
        ofs << "flush " << i++ << std::endl;
        std::cout << "ping" << std::endl;
        Sleep(5000);
    }
}

int main()
{
    HANDLE handle = CreateThread(NULL, 0, ThreadFunc, NULL, 0, NULL);
    CloseHandle(handle);

while (1) { Sleep(60 * 1000); }
}

And confirmed... it isn't creating zombie files. Solved.
Last edited on
True for *nix and Windows.

The process "owns" all child threads. The "main" thread is merely the first thread upon which the entry point is called (the main function).

When the process goes, it is an envelope of all within it, including the threads.

It would not be possible for a thread to continue with the process destroyed, because the process "owns" the threads, and the memory space in which they operate.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.