Get a legal version of Visual Studio Professional for free.

Hey guys. Recently, I did a google search on how to get a free XNA membership ($99 dollars to make XBOX games seems like a lot) and came across this website

channel8.msdn.com

I clicked the link on the top right, and then verified my MSN account to prove that I am a student. In order to do this, I had to follow their procedures (some colleges where automatically accepted, but a lot of high schools were not, including mine).

When it asked for my school, I clicked the "School Not listed?" link, and went to the JourneyED link. On this site, I had to scan my ID and attach it in an Email. 1 day later, I get a code in my email, and I am verified for dreamspark. Mind you that even though it's rung up like a purchase, no credit cards are required.

I now have access to all their software, which includes Visual Studio Professional, Windows Server Standard 2003, XNA Creators Club, and a few more, absolutely free of charge. ]

I must say that even though I was a huge advocate of CodeBlocks and MinGW, Visual Studio Professional is better (except for the text editor, which I used a plugin to use ViM).

I am not entirely sure why Microsoft is doing this. Visual Studio Professional with all the MSDN Docs is usually around one thousand dollars. They've had express editions for years for students. Is it because they want kids to make commercial apps with micr

I thought it was a pretty cool service. If you guys are students, you otta check it out.
Last edited on
You got to read the MSDN-Newsletters and some Microsoft News;)... they did it "long" time ago^^...
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.