what should i learn first?

I've got the c++ programming language e-book and this tutorial. What should i learn first? This tutorial or should i read the book?
Last edited on
Malvado, i was in the same situation like you- so i think my experience will help you. I would recommend you to check the contents of the book and the tutorial. Follow the tutorial - read first chapter , then find the information on the book and read it...
Hi,there

I'am just starting in windows programming and I was told that this book was the best in understanding API calls..I would like to know how to program the "C" code in Charles Petzolds 5 edition programming for Windows 32 API in Visual Studio C++ 2008?

Please HElp with setup and ect....
The book (and only the book).
@ strashkoWouldn't i been reading things twice? What do u advice the book or the tutorial? Stuff in the book are already in the tutorial right?
@Athar y only the book? Is this tutorial bad?
@OP: The tutorial on this site is in the pipline to be updated AFAIK, but it is still easily one of the top 5 on the web. I JUST google'd "C++ Tutorial" and the top three links were to this site. I personally stand behind it, even with it's hand full of flaws.

Also, yes you would be reading things twice. Why is this a bad thing? Real learning is not just taking one source as the know-all-tell-all oracle, but it's about cross-referencing and experimenting. It is inevitable that you will run across a situation where one source says you should use method 'A' and another says that you should use method 'B'. When this happes just remember Newton's-Flaming-Laser-Sword: "what cannot be settled by experiment is not worth debating"

That last part was just an excuse for me to plug the funny titled, yet intelligent piece of advice.
@Computergeek01: Do u know the book? What r the examples and exercises? Console, windows files or source files? I still dont get it. Im using dev C++ btw. Thx 4 the info btw. Btw, lol, is the tutorial on this site more informative than the book? Is it complete? I think I already know the answer.
@ OP: How would I know that? You still haven't given us the title.
the tittle of the book is the C++ programming language third edition by Bjarne stroutstrup
@Computergeek I believe he said he was reading Stroustrup:
I've got the c++ programming language e-book

(I misread it the first time also, as "a c++ programming language ebook" :P)

@[b]OP[/]
is the tutorial on this site more informative than the book?

The tutorial on this site is pretty good from the parts I've seen, but if you are indeed talking about The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup, then that is going to be much more complete and informative than this site's tutorial (no offence meant to the tutorial, of course..).
Last edited on
@ Xander314: Ah, thank you for clearing that up.

@ OP: Now I know why Athar said to use only that book, I can't argue with him there Bjarne Stroustrup invented the language. That's not an exaggeration, he litterally did.
Yeah I'm meaning to get a copy as well XD

Newton's-Flaming-Laser-Sword

The principle is indeed sound, but did you invent that name??? I'm guessing it wasn't Newton anyway ;)
what r the examples, excersises and stuff in the book so i can use the dev c++ compiler? R they console, windows applications or simply source files? Btw, looking at the future do u honestly believe it is still worth it learning c++? Shouldn't i be learning something else?
I'm sorry - I haven't actually read the book, merely heard good things about it!

I see no reason why you can't use DevC++ with it. However, bear in mind that DevC++ is outdated, and so is the compiler with it. See here: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/36896/

do u honestly believe it is still worth it learning c++

I definitely do! It's the best language I have tried. It is very versatile and powerful and personally I prefer it to C#. I shall say no more though, lest I initiate another C++/Java argument or something ;) But I think it's worth learning. :)
A language is a tool. You'll always have to approach each problem differently and choose the best one for the job. C++ is bloated, but because of that it is capable of doing anything you could possibly want to. It may not be the BEST choice for the job, but it will always be an option, so it's worth learning.
btw, i wanna start programming in 10,20 years. Is c++ the best choice? Will it still be useful in 10,20 years? Thats y im askin if it is worth it learning this language. IS it the language i should learn if i wanna pogram in 10, 20 years? Can i still use it 10,20 years from now?
Last edited on
btw, i wanna start programming in 10,20 years.

Why are you waiting? I technically wrote "Hello World" when I was 12 (read "wrote" as smashed keyboard until something that resembled the "Hello World" program came out with little to no actuall understanding of the code). One of the more advanced users on this forum is still a year or two away from college I believe. What's holding YOU back?
Last edited on
btw, i wanna start programming in 10,20 years. Is c++ the best choice? Will it still be useful in 10,20 years? Thats y im askin if it is worth it learning this language. IS it the language i should learn if i wanna pogram in 10, 20 years? Can i still use it 10,20 years from now?

Alright, this is a horrendous question that no one can answer.

In 10, 20 years our computer might be running on qubits rather than electrical transistors.

Programming language evolution and spawn rate has been accelerating in recent years. Looking backwards, the number of languages available today has to be an order of magnitude or two greater than what I saw 20 years ago.

As a matter of fact, there is no generic "best choice" of a language. It depends on what you are trying to do, what your constraints are (in terms of time, money, speed, and other resources), and what your experience is.

Stop thinking about that, pick a language, and start reading and programming while you read to make sure you understand what you are reading.
Last edited on
Well, when it comes to the decision of waiting or not, it's really quite a gamble. 20 years from now, there could be some super language that could do all of the things, that C++ could not; it could combine all of the most powerful languages, to make an incredibly flexible, and wonderful language. But on the other hand, C++ could advance dramatically, making it the best language in the world (That would be quite a feat.) Really, it's up to you whether you start now, or start later. If it were up to me, I would start now; just to get a head-start, and to gain more experience for possible job offers. I'm only 14, and I've been studying C++ for almost half a year now. Also, one of the BEST coders on Top Coder is Neal Wu, and he's not even in college yet :P I suggest you start learning now.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.