Windows programming and Windows Phone

Hello ! I'm new here . Just registered yesterday .

So I started C++ with Turbo C++ because I heard it's easier to learn . I've made some Dos games like Tetris , Snake , Sudoku etc .

Thanks to the really great tutorials here , I see I can easily get updated .

So it seems to me that to progress from console programs to Windows programs , I need to learn Visual C++ . Is that so ? Or is it possible to make windows apps without it ?

Once I learn windows programming , will that do to make windows phone apps , or is there any additional windows phone programming to learn ?

Last edited on
No replies ? Somebody ?
Well Turbo C++ is a very old IDE. I would suggest that you learn how to program with Visual C++ writing GUI programs. So you will need to get a decent IDE i.e. Visual Studio and a book to go with the IDE of your choice.

Once you have mastered programming GUI programs on Windows, you can start to learn how to write programs on a mobile OS. What mobile platform did you have in mind? Android, Windows or iPhone, bearing in mind that if you intend to write programs on an iPhone or iOS device, you will need an Apple Mac computer. If it is an iOS device you eventually intend to program for, then forget about Visual Studio and Windows, and get an Apple Mac computer and start learning to program Objective-C and using XCode.

HTH

Andrew
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Elven,

Dump Turbo C++ ASAP, you will be wasting your time with it.

Visual C++ is just a name for Microsofts C++ product. There are quite a few other products that will do just as well.

Once I learn windows programming , will that do to make windows phone apps , or is there any additional windows phone programming to learn ?
It may actually be worth not learning C++ (yet) and start with C# and the .net framework.
It may actually be worth not learning C++ (yet) and start with C# and the .net framework.

I will concur to this. If your looking to do Metro phone or tablet apps, C# is more catered towards this. However if your looking to do games, then C++ would be the answer. Microsoft dropped XNA and is pushing C++ with DirectX for game apps. XNA is not compatible with Metro, though there are some ways around that, like MonoGame or ANX.

But that's the reason why I switched to C++, I love C#, but since I wish to go towards game development, C++ seems to be the key. However, the accounting app I am developing for Metro, I am still going to use C# for it.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.