Windows Programming - August 2020

Custom Menu Bar

Please forgive the ambiguous title. I am trying to create a custom "skinned" window, like that of VS 2019. I have found two promising methods of doing this. ...
[1 reply] : P.S. In the second method, the one without a menu bar, I can still ac... (by anachronon)
How to edit files in a hex editor.

Hi guys, good morning! I'm looking to learn how to edit files in a hex editor. They can be photos, music, any type of file. Thank you.
[2 replies] Last: binary files require some effort on your part. a rough how to 1) edi... (by jonnin)
Combining Menu Bar and Title Bar

I have been playing with menus and resources. This brought up an interesting question. In programs like Visual Studio 2019 and Photoshop, the menu bar and tit...
[5 replies] Last: Thanks Furry Guy. I have been studying the code in that link, and exp... (by anachronon)
library for creating and editing files

What is the C ++ library for creating files?
[1 reply] : <fstream> and <filesystem> have all the basics. (by jonnin)
by fluppe
Give a servcie DCOM permissions

Hello, i have a service written in C++. everything works fine so far, if i run it under a specific account. What i intend however is to grant the servcie spec...
[no replies]
Time calculation in the main game loop.

There is the code in the Quake 2 main game loop implementation: if (!initialized) { // let base retain 16 bits of effectively random data base = ...
[4 replies] Last: It's everywhere https://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/419982-time-c... (by salem c)
[C++] - Opening a directory and getting the path of a selected file

Hello all, I am simply trying to make a C++ dll, which opens a folder and allows user to select one of the files in this directory (via a mouse click), then ...
[16 replies] Last: But is there a way using the <filesystem> library to open the direct... (by anachronon)
by bld
Making another PATH variable.

Hello, I was just wondering, if it's possible to have multiple PATH variables for the same user. If so, would it cause any issues, if I'd make a separate PATH ...
[10 replies] Last: if worried, back it up. echo %path% > path.bak now you have your pa... (by jonnin)
How to retrieve GUID from setup.exe using c++ or windows programming?

How to retrieve GUID from setup.exe using c++ or windows programming? Please anyone help me.
[1 reply] : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30646829/is-it-possible-to-get-gui... (by George P)
Resources and the Icon Demo Program

I am currently studying the use of resources in programs. However, I have a question about Petzold's "Icon Demo" program. Has anyone worked with it. The pr...
[3 replies] Last: When I use VS2017/2019 I usually launch the app via the IDE. Launchin... (by George P)
Image Layers in Windows

I wish to create a dual-layer image in a window. The bottom (underlying) layer would be an image loaded from file, e.g. a photograph. The top layer would be t...
[11 replies] Last: Fortunately, the graphics I'm using work fast enough for the simple ap... (by anachronon)
by habib9
random number didvide by user input

The client will put a contribution between 2-10! Interim my interface will create an arbitrary/random number between 10-100 (with the exception of the primary n...
[2 replies] Last: Try this code: #include <cstdlib> #include <ctime> #include <iostre... (by anachronon)
by bld
Running an .exe file

Hello, I've been experimenting with the MinGW C++ compiler recently. So I made a simple 'Hello, World!' program and compiled it into an .exe file. But when I tr...
[19 replies] Last: You are fine to put c:\mingw\bin in the path variable. But if you use ... (by lastchance)
by Amey18
Using CPR library for asynchronous http post request

Hello folks, I am using a cpr lib for making a post request to the REST endpoint. I am sending some data as well as 3 images. It's taking a long time to send t...
[2 replies] Last: you are probably stuck. remote apis have a fixed interface and you s... (by jonnin)
Initializing a Child Window

In a program that I am creating, a child window loads an image file and displays the image. However, I can find no equivalent for "ON_CREATE", in a child windo...
[7 replies] Last: Thanks Freddie1. My trick worked! I was looking to do more than ju... (by anachronon)
  Archived months: [jul2020] [sep2020]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.