cant understand oop concept properly

hi ,
is been like 6 months of me trying to understand oop but nothing...
like how it's possible that real objects can implemented in a computer?
or what makes me more angry is the fact that I understand if the variable describe the object or is inside of the object... if can someone explain me in a correct way thank you.
like how it's possible that real objects can implemented in a computer?

they can't, of course. That is not what a programming 'object' is. You obviously cannot have a motorcycle in the middle of your code that you can pull out and take for a ride down to the 7-11. All you can do is *represent* a real object, in an abstract way that lets you write some sort of program using those parts. Maybe its a game, and you have the top speed and rate of acceleration and max angles it can go before a crash and so on.

Object oriented coding is the the idea of making a custom user variable type, and the 'objects' are simply instances (variables, constants, etc) of that type. There is a lot of detail to learn on HOW to do it, but that is the starting point. These user defined types are made up of two primary things: internal variables that hold data (like a string, but these can be other user defined types and become complicated) and functions that do things with the internal variables. Again I am speaking from a very basic, starting point level here, but if you can get that part straight (its just a user defined type with some variables and functions all packaged up together) you have taken the first step.

Keeping with the example,
if you had in main:
string brand;
string engine_description;
double max_speed;
double max_wheelie_angle;
double max_lean_angle;
int loop counter;
... etc
you can do everything I said, but the variables are all loose in main, not tied together and that loop counter variable got mushed in with your motorcycle. There isnt any way to make all these loose variables work together as a single entity, the representation of your bike. And worse, there isnt an easy way to have more than one of them! This is the problem that objects solve: they bundle this stuff up so it is all one entity, easier to work with, easier to reuse, and more.
Last edited on
Most computer programming, including OOP, is just about memory. Programs are only useful because they manipulate data within memory.

When a program declares an int, x:
int x;
The system sets aside some bytes of memory for the program's use. It sets out just enough bytes to represent each of the possible values of int. If int needs four bytes, it'll set out four bytes.

The definition of a class or struct type informs the system how many bytes must be set aside for an object of the new type:
struct interval
{
  int lower;
  int upper;
};

In this case interval describes a memory layout large enough for two ints. If int needs 4 bytes, declaring a class of type interval causes the system to set aside 8 bytes. Therefore, the phrase
interval three_through_ten;
Instructs the system to set aside 8 bytes of memory.

The definition of interval also tells the system that the phrase three_through_ten.lower talks about the first 4 bytes in the 8 byte block named three_through_ten. Similarly, we've also told the system that the phrase three_through_ten.upper refers to the second set of 4 bytes.

Because those "sub chunks" (which are called member subobjects in C++'s jargon) can be referred to separately, they can be modified separately too:
three_through_ten.lower = 3;
three_through_ten.upper = 10;
Which sets the first and second chunks of four bytes within three_through_ten separately.

I can also tell the compiler what other phrases mean involving an interval like zero_through_ten. By defining the function
int range(interval ivl)
{
  return ivl.upper - ivl.lower;
}

This tells the compiler that the phrase range(three_through_ten) subtracts the int in the first four bytes of an interval from the last four. In this model, the phrase computes the "distance" or "range" spanned by the interval. The distance between ten and three is 7, in this case.

Notice how names are chosen which help reflect a useful concept - a "useful" model of an interval between integers.

range() could also be a member function: For instance
struct interval
{
  int lower;
  int upper;

int range() const { return upper - lower; }
};

Gives essentially the same meaning as before to a slightly different phrase
three_through_ten.range()
Although there are some subtle differences between the two which don't matter right now.

If some (contrived) inheritance is thrown into the mix:
struct interval
{
  int lower;
  int upper;

};

struct sub_array: public interval
{
  int* begin() { return data + lower; }
  int* end()   { return data + upper; }

int* data; 
};

The compiler understands that sub_array describes a data layout identical to
struct sub_array
{
  interval base_subobject; 
  int* data; 
};

Such that sub_array describes a memory layout large enough for one interval and one int*. Probably sub_array describes a layout that's 16 bytes in size.
int my_array[10] = { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 };
sub_array sa;  // system sets aside 16 bytes: 8 for the interval, 8 for the pointer.    

The inheritance means (to humans) that every sub_array is an interval. Therefore, we can treat sa as if it was an interval - using the phrases sa.begin and sa.end even though the chunk of memory called begin isn't mentioned explicitly with the definition of sub_array.
sa.data = my_array; // last 8 bytes within sa
sa.upper = 3;  // first four bytes within sa
sa.lower = 5;     // second four bytes within sa
std::cout << sa.range() << '\n'; // prints 2 

By defining member functions begin() and end() we've told the compiler enough to figure out what this means:
for (int i: sa) std::cout << i << '\n';
Let's put it together:

#include <iostream>

struct interval
{
  int lower;
  int upper;

};

struct sub_array: public interval
{
  int* begin() { return data + lower; }
  int* end()   { return data + upper; }

int* data; 
};

int main()
{
  int my_array[10] = { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 };
  sub_array sa; 
  sa.data = my_array;
  sa.lower = 3;  
  sa.upper = 8;    
  std::cout << "the sub_array sa spans " << sa.range() << " values" << '\n';

for (int i: sa) std::cout << i << '\n';
}

Live demo:
https://godbolt.org/z/M1j4qa

We're describing memory along with the operations associated with it: that's OOP.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.