Question for a bool function

Hello,

I've looked over the net for a function to break a vector into three parts with equal sum and I found the following. However, I can't combine in my mind the type of the function (bool) and the value it returns. I mean, given it is a bool function it suppose to return a true or false, so I'd expect to see "return true" or "return false". Instead it returns the counter and yet during runtime it indeed returns a 0 or 1. So my question is, how is possible to write "return variable" and not true/false, and the function to return a true or false? What do I miss here?

Thank you!

bool part3(vector <int>& arr)
{
    int summ = accumulate(arr.begin(), arr.end(), 0);   
    int part = 0;   
    int count = 0;  
    if (summ % 3 == 0) {   

for (int x : arr) {   

part += x;   

if (part == (summ / 3)) {   

count++;   
                part = 0;  
            }
        }
    }
    return count >= 3;         // <-------------- this 
Last edited on
count >= 3 is a condition which returns a type bool - either true if count is >= 3 or false if count < 3.

In general, in c/c++ a non-zero value is treated as true and a zero value is treated as false.

Instead it returns the counter

The expression "count >= 3" evaluates to a boolean. If count == 0, the expression is false. If count == 5, the expression is true. The evaluated expression is returned. The function is not returning the counter.

Boolean values can be seen as integers with values of 0 (false) and non-0 (true). An actual bool true is '1'. Since your function returns a bool, the returned value will either be 0 or 1.

All integers can be implicitly converted to a bool. If the int value is == 0, the bool is false. Otherwise the bool is true. This works for floats, doubles and pointers, too.

Excellent! Thank you guys!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.