directory vague to me

Please help with a very basic question. More often than not when I am setting up the properties of a C++/opengl project the "directions" or "cookbook" asks to (for e.g.) copy glut32.lib into my "build directory" that ("i.e. the directory that you compile to and link from)".

If I fool around enough I get it. But I need to know what I am doing and would kike to know what comprises my "build directory" and "the directory that I compile too and link from".

glut32.lib-->build directory. Is the build directory my workspace? What is this area that is referred to.
Last edited on
By default, your project will be configured to look in a specific folder for libraries (.lib files). It sounds like this is what they're calling the "build directory".

For example, I use Visual Studio 2015. The directory my projects look for libraries by default is:
Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0 > VC > lib

If you neglect to place a required library (.lib file) into the specified directory, the project which you're trying to build against that library will not link, and the build will fail.

You can reconfigure your project to look in a folder of your choice.
Last edited on
Ok, I am using Eclipse. Where do you think the default directory would be? It seems I am always using 3rd party software and pointing Eclipse in that direction for builds. But the key is, "what directory do I compile from" which suggests there is a lib for Eclipse that is always being pointed to?
Last edited on
Ok, I've been setting up my own library which answers the question about what they are calling a build directory.

What does it mean when someone says "build against" a library/file. I'm sure I'm doing it correctly but would this means in C++ parlance.
libraries are usually compiled code that is pulled into an executable program via the linker at compile time. This is what is meant, as I understand it. In some cases the library is pulled in by the executable at run time, a dynamic library, more or less the same concept but mechanically different (allows you to replace library without replacing all the other stuff every update).

Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.