• Forum
  • Lounge
  • What language was hardest for you to gra

What language was hardest for you to grasp?

Pages: 12
closed account (367kGNh0)
Which coding language was the intricate for you to learn?
Last edited on
Jananese. Too many words need to remember and the grammar is so hard for me.
Japanese or Javanese?
Last edited on
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
What [programming] language was hardest for you to grasp?

All of them.
Which coding language was the intricate for you to learn?

C++ is the most intricate language I use.

What coding language was hardest for you to grasp?

Can't say.
Last edited on
Interesting, thanks. So javascript is actually a bit tricky?
What's "hardest"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Esoteric_programming_languages
Some are very easy to learn, but very hard to actually get anything useful done in a reasonable amount of time.

I find the functional languages, especially the purely functional ones, quite hard to learn (and thus do anything useful with).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming

Hardest for me is X86 assembler, probably because I use it so rarely and it changes with each generation of Intel processor. I started in this business many, many years ago coding in assembler on super computers, so most assemblers are easy for me, but I find the X86 instruction set to be convoluted.
I have been learning C ++ for several months and this seems to be the most difficult language for me, but this is for now.
Haskell. After trying to code in it unsuccessfully, I gave up. I don't think that the language is particularly hard, but the tutorial I was following really sucked. Everything it showed left me with more questions than answers and Googling didn't turn up many answers for me.

Haven't tried assembly, but I'm sure that would be considerably harder. If for no other reason then simply because of readability and memorization.
IMO, Haskell is a language worth learning. It will significantly change the way you think about programming - exactly what you want from a new language.

I'm not any good with Haskell, but I can usually read it, and I think this tutorial is pretty okay:
https://www.haskell.org/tutorial/
Oh, and this one
http://learnyouahaskell.com/chapters
Last edited on
Definitely a +1 for Learn You A Haskell For Great Good. Still, Haskell is weird enough that you don't really get a handle on it until you've spent quite a long time fiddling with it; it also kind of assumes a strong background in category theory and things like that, which is a fair barrier to any non-academic programmers :)

I'd have to say SQL is still the hardest language for me to grasp, to be honest. I mean sure, easy things are easy, but I still bang my head against the wall when I need to do more complex queries.
mbozzi's experience was exactly the same as mine learning Haskell, and so even if you don't really intend to use it "seriously" learning Haskell (or any functional programming language, maybe), is a good investment because of that "broadening your horizons" factor.

That said, it is hard for me to pick one; as mentioned before Haskell and SQL would be good candiates in terms of difficulty, but I'm not sure if I can really say I "learned" them! I've forgotten a lot of Haskell and my current job doesn't use really anything complex when it comes to SQL.
I’m not sure I remember. Either C or Scheme.

C kept flummoxing me with the syntax. That took me a while.

Scheme was a paradigm shift, being a functional language.

I would recommend Scheme over Haskell as a gotta-learn-a-lambda-calculus-language, but whatever functional language you decide on, it is definitely worth your time to do it.

I like Assembly. My first language was Basic, then Assembly, then Pascal. A lot of people hate x86+ assembly, because it is so different from the elegant dinosaurs and the modern RISC stuff. But I like it — it has a lot of power and flexibility. It is just very big.

Of course, now that I’m thinking about it, I have spent more time trying to master C++ than any other language...
A functional language (Haskell in my case). The shift was incredibly interesting but it was hard not to try to come up with imperative solutions. Once you were able to work around that it was super cool though.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
firedraco, That sounds familiar...in my case it was Miranda.

Learning (yet) another language probably feels easier (regardless of objective difficulty level), for it makes use of what you have acquired with the previous languages, (unless there is a paradigm shift).

Are you
A) trying to avoid the "hardest"
B) looking for good challenge
C) conducting a study on how programmers think (Is there a trend?)
?
Or maybe it could be
D) Casual discussion and gathering of personal opinions or experiences.
*shrug*
Last edited on

Are you
A) trying to avoid the "hardest"
B) looking for good challenge
C) conducting a study on how programmers think (Is there a trend?)

E) curiosity.
Last edited on
Thanks for your opinions everyone! Sorry for my lack of activity, unsuprisingly i was busy on a c++ project. Is it ok to showcase your own cocos2d-x c++ game here, in the lounge?
Pages: 12