• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Visual Studio 2022 Preview has been rele

Visual Studio 2022 Preview has been released

Pages: 12
Without hesitation, I tried it immediately (all satisfied).

Loved the new IntelliSense which can now support C++20 concepts properly to provide hints.
One ought to adore new technologies and apply them to the max to make life easier. I am in love with modern C++ I suppose.
I'll wait for a bit until the Preview has been mashed on by a few more non-MS programmers. VS 2019 at the present moment suffices for my wants and needs. C++20 is in my "to learn" queue behind C++11/14/17.
Am I the only C++ programmer who is excited?

There are about 5 months left before the year 2022 even begins and I am enjoying C++20 and Visual Studio 2022 early and blissfully. Super lucky me!
Am I the only C++ programmer who is excited?

VS 2022 is a programming tool, just as every other compiler/IDE are. Getting all hysterically giddy about one's tools is not something most people do.

"Oh, look! A shiny new SCREWDRIVER! With Turbo Drive and USB attachments! *SQUEEEE!*" (I think you get the point, nu?)

M'ok, I've installed the 2022 preview in parallel with VS 2019 after taking a backup snapshot of my boot drive. I've tried a C++20 code snippet from cppreference ( https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/utility/format/format ) and VS 2022 didn't vomit up a bunch of errors as 2019 did ( http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/278288/#msg1201602 ).

Nice.

Oh, and the size footprint of VS 2022 isn't all that massive, considering I installed just a couple of packages for the test. I routinely install to a secondary drive other than my boot drive. 2022 only chewed up about 2GB of space on my C:\ drive. D:\ is 5.48GB (5.54GB on the drive).

VS 2022, not bad for a preview. Now I will have to wait for the official release.

Losing all my extensions and IDE customizations I did in 2019 does make my 2022 experience tinged with a bit of sadness.
YOW! Batch build in 2022 is HOSED. It crashes the IDE, big time.

I use batch build in 2019 a LOT. Not having it working in 2022 is really a demerit for this preview.
Has anyone tried installing VS2022 with Windows 7 - alongside VS2019?
OK. Tried it. Works fine with Windows 7 SP1. VS2022 preview 1.1 installs alongside VS2019 OK. Both can be used at once. The VS2019 .sln files et al are compatible with VS2022 so there's no one-way upgrade required (as there was from VS2017 to VS2019). Hence it seems that you can use the same project/solution in VS2019 and VS2022 and switch between them. As VS0202 is preview - and as Microsoft says - don't use it for production programs.
Last edited on
Please try a batch build with 2022. Maybe it was a glitch on my system, maybe not.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Furry Guy wrote:
Please try a batch build with 2022. Maybe it was a glitch on my system, maybe not.
Tried a batch build and it crashed. Updated to Preview 1.1, and batch build worked.
Ah, so the preview version I had WAS buggy, thanks for the test and info.

I believe I'll wait for a bit to try a newer preview, that batch build crash made me a bit leery of the situation. 2019 works well for me at this time.
How is CMake there? Is it good like in CLion or still terrible? I need VS to have good CMake compatibility to convince people to switch out of vcxproj files... Maintaining these in a crossplatform codebase is not fun.
How is CMake there? Is it good like in CLion or still terrible? I need VS to have good CMake compatibility to convince people to switch out of vcxproj files... Maintaining these in a crossplatform codebase is not fun.

I've been using CMake to generate my VS solution & project files for years, and it's always seemed fine to me. What problems have you been seeing with it?
Last edited on
> I need VS to have good CMake compatibility to convince people to switch out of vcxproj files... > Maintaining these in a crossplatform codebase is not fun.

This is what the roadmap says:
We are integrating support for CMake, Linux, and WSL to make it easier to create and debug cross-platform apps.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/productinfo/vs-roadmap#c

JLBorges wrote:
This is what the roadmap says:
We are integrating support for CMake, Linux, and WSL to make it easier to create and debug cross-platform apps.

That should come out in VS 2035 or so.
Anyone else have frequent crashes with VS2019? Especially when pasting code into it? I'm hoping that isn't an issue in this new version.
No.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
zapshe wrote:
Anyone else have frequent crashes with VS2019?
Frequent crashes, no. The odd crash or need to restart 'cos of misbehaving, yes.
Anyone else have frequent crashes with VS2019?

2019 has been for me resoundingly crash resistant, unlike 2015 or 2017.

My experience with 2022's batch build is likely to be an anomaly. Preview status is a good time to shake out bugs and squirt 'em with RAID.
That's odd, I never had a problem with crashes in 2017. 2019 crashes multiple times in a row. Especially if I copy and paste code. To the point where if it crashes on the second attempt to paste code, I just don't do it.
Pages: 12