Slava Ukraini

Pages: 12
Glory to Ukraine
Indeed!

🇺🇦 Stand with Ukraine 🇺🇦

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pWKVJFF-Pc
Last edited on
The war is depressing me because I believe it is a signal that the end of liberal democracy is close.

Here is how I understand the progression of government. A democracy eventually embraces nationalism. The nationalist eventually end liberal democracy and replace it with an autocrat or a plutocracy. The new ruler/rulers usually are very good at improving their subjects lives, that is most people become wealthier in the short run.

So the ruler or rulers becomes stable. Suppressing opposition becomes easier at some point due to less and less opposition. Why oppose an autocrat who is making your life better?

When the autocrats rule is stable their subjects standard of living decreases.

In the US, Turkey, UK, and India I believe nationalism is already being embraced, and it is just a matter of time before a autocrat or plutocracy takes over.

I don’t think it can be stopped because in the beginning it looks so good.

Some countries can keep a liberal democracy for a very long time, and others like Russia didn’t even get 20 years before they became nationalist. Everyone I know says it can’t happen, but it always does. Even Rome was a democracy at one time.

robertb wrote:
Here is how I understand the progression of government. A democracy eventually embraces nationalism. The nationalist eventually end liberal democracy and replace it with an autocrat or a plutocracy. The new ruler/rulers usually are very good at improving their subjects lives, that is most people become wealthier in the short run.

That's basically it, although I'd disagree that people become wealthier. A select few usually become wealthier, and it's almost always because they are part of what's known as the ruling class.

Suppressing opposition becomes easier at some point due to less and less opposition. Why oppose an autocrat who is making your life better?

Suppressing opposition definitely becomes easier, but I think it's usually more due to the people's fear of retaliation; or often they will be essentially brainwashed into thinking whatever the government wants them to think.

The US has kept its democracy for an extraordinarily long time, but the government is sadly degenerating into corruption, and it's slowly turning into an oligarchy where a select few rule, with the help of the mainstream media, as well as brainwashed people who are convinced that crushing the opposition to the ruling class is good.
Of course none of that accounts for the russian clown sitting at his long table while he murders innocent people.
Putin isn't a clown. A clown is supposed to be funny - someone to laugh at - and no one is laughing at Putin.
There are lots of ways to laugh at clowns.

putin is definitely a clown - absurd furniture rejects from the long-gone czars - the joke is on him.

Just like the chinese clown sitting in front of his wall hangings depicting the Great Wall pile of gravel - all built by slave labour. The jokes on him too.

We should laugh more - the sheep in china and russia don't.

Glory to Ukraine
I hope I'll get up one day and read the news "Putin is dead" and the government parliament were dissolved.
Why sleep on it?

But when the inevitable occurs and the trash is collected:
Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the bitch that bore him is in heat again.“ — Bertolt Brecht
Really, you want to wake up one day to the news "<someone/anyone> is dead"? Isn't there enough premature death and suffering in this world?
Really, you want to wake up one day to the news "<someone/anyone> is dead"?
Just the clown putin will suffice at the moment.

Isn't there enough premature death and suffering in this world?
Not according to putin.

Glory to Ukraine
Why save your ire for Ukraine, what about Yemen, for example?
OK. Who's your target for Yemen - we'll hope for an early demise there too instead of bleating platitudes.
@kbw why do you wish to redirect his outrage?
I don't. Maybe one should be equally angry at all wars.

It's useful to step back and think where did the outrage come from. It's not been the longest running war, nor the most violent, so why? And so possibly gain additional perspective if there are answers to these.
Last edited on
@kbw war should be abolished. The damage is generational. Both sides will still be dealing with the emotional damage 100 years from now. In the US we are still dealing with the damage done during the Civil War.

That said, I think it is important to note that Russian propaganda is pushing: "don't look here, there's worst things happening".

I'm not accusing you of pushing propaganda. I'm asking the rhetorical question, have you been influenced by it?
Maybe one (sic) should be equally angry at all wars.
Only 'maybe'. That was a pretty short display of (pompous) principle before it fell apart.
In the US we are still dealing with the damage done during the Civil War.

That was with primitive equipment, and there are still environmental scars. You can fly a drone up in the forest and find where their camps were by the shift in the terrain, its still obvious in many places where it was cleared for firewood, fortifications, etc ... A metal detector friend showed this to me on how he picks his sites and it was rather interesting.

Modern war leaves even more .. unexploded ordinance, wrecked vehicles/buildings/etc, explosion scars, ... whatever else.

Why the outrage? Fear. Russia is powerful enough that if it starts taking by force, what is to be done to stop that, and when? Yemen is a civil war: whatever happens, its not a war of conquest against neighbors. There is a red flag when a country annexes another by force that causes a worldwide fear and associated responses.

You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.
Outrageous!. A small but important point. I fear it's 'ordnance' not 'ordinance'.
Putin isn't a clown. A clown is supposed to be funny - someone to laugh at - and no one is laughing at Putin.

Absolutely. He is a dictator, a totalitarian dictator with illusions of bringing back the old Soviet Union– which @againtry, being the kid he is, probably doesn't remember. My point is, one does not laugh at dictators. Did anyone laugh at Hitler? Stalin? Mao? Castro? Justin Trudeau?

(Scratch the last one, some people are laughing at him)
Pages: 12