I am the Lord of the Idiots

I'm currently reverse-engineering my own DLL because I somehow managed to lose its source code. Somehow I never committed it anywhere and wherever its copy was I deleted because I thought it wasn't important.
That is why, even for the smallest project and even if I don't need to share the code with others, I always create a local Git repo as the first step. In the most simple case, you don't even have to push it to a server.

Also, I bought a Zotac ZBox as my "server" to run a Gitea instance and I mirror all my code there, just in case:
https://gitea.io/en-us/
Last edited on
I do! This is a repository going back seven years and I have it in three separate servers: at work, at home, and on Github. I didn't commit this particular change anywhere. I have literally no idea how this happened.
do you have a debug version? The literal code lines may be in that.
Nope, no PDB either. Anyway, it's done. I refixed that connection string issue and the customer is happy.
By the way, Ghidra is awesome.
Last edited on
Was this a native DLL or a .NET DLL? Just curious, since I assume a .NET DLL is a lot easier to reverse engineer. I learned about Ghidra probably like a year or two ago but still haven't bothered using it. I really should, so thanks for the reminder.
helios wrote:
I have literally no idea how this happened.

BTDT, I've lost a lot of stuff I've worked on over the years presuming I'd never use it again, or I'd made a backup when I didn't.

My stuff has never been "mission critical," but now I make backups and then back up the backups.

It sucks to lose stuff only to find out I need it later.
Was this a native DLL or a .NET DLL?
Native. .NET would have been a breeze.
Few years ago I programmed a sudoku puzzle for practice. It took a while and I literally lost the code for it practically the day after I finished it.

So now anything that takes longer than an hour to code I make sure to save.
Some of you may remember my complaining about losing everything.

My primary hard drive failed. And a few days later my backup drive failed too.

I understand your pain.
My primary hard drive failed. And a few days later my backup drive failed too.

I have several backup drives just because of this. Back in my middle/high school days I would tinker a lot with Windows and would end up breaking and reinstalling Windows a few times a year!
I backup to a NAS and to an external HDD for that very reason...
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.