Help me prosper!

I hope to become a programmer! mainly in the gaming industry. but, i relise its not as easy as that, so i will get any sofware/ict related job first, and work my way up! But, my question is what do you actually need skills wise to become a games programmer. Math and physics? i am about to make choices at 'a' level and i want to pick the right subjects to get into a university easier doing programming courses. i dont know what to take i am a a/b grade student and i could take most subjects. but i want ask you guys. what do you need!!!
-- many thanks in advance
-- christopher :)
Last edited on
There is no such thing as a "game programmer", unless you plan on either leading a team of programmers or becoming an indie developer. Game programming jobs vary a lot.

In big companies, the following tasks are usually appointed to single jobs.
- Game Engine
- Networking
- Development tools
- Graphics
- Sound
- etc.
All these require different experience and knowledge of fields. One who's working on the Game Engine or Graphics might need to know some math and physics while Networking requires little or no math or physics at all. (Just to give a simple example.)

To become an indie developer, you would have to be proficient in all of these, which can be quite a pain in the ass. If you do pull it off, however, you can make some big money.. especially in this time in which the indie gaming market is prospering as it is.
If your doing A-levels, does that mean your in the UK? I remember reading an article that was basically just saying how bad IT was in the UK, I would get talking to some of the teachers at your school, and actually go and talk to them even if you never have before, most teachers are much more approachable than you realise until your final year or two at school (or maybe even after). Find out what programming languages they teach, and about the course in general, if it sounds crap, and it very well might, then I wouldn't take it. I would probably take maths and physics (I did), and after that I'm not too sure, see if you can find out which teachers will be taking which courses, at school a good teacher can make a massive difference, it's pretty much why I took Chemistry until A-level. Also after that if you still don't really mind which subjects you do, find out if there is a break down of grades from previous years, and decide which course your most likely to A. Uni's tend to look at grades more than anything else.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.