Find char sequence inside char array

Hello i am trying to make a program witch will find a sequence of chars inside char array, but my program don't work correctly need help.
https://www.upsers.mobi/
Here is my code:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
char MyCharArray[] = "mna89ybchellomas09as9";
char Key[] = "hello";

unsigned int KeyNumb = 0;
unsigned int CorrectInRow = 0;

for(unsigned int i = 0; i < sizeof(MyCharArray); i++){
if(MyCharArray[i] == Key[KeyNumb]){ // Check if char inside MyCharArray match with first char inside Key.
CorrectInRow++; // Increment this because i want to know how many chars match in a row.
KeyNumb++; // Increment this because now i know that next time in this loop i will want to check the next char inside Key[].
if(CorrectInRow == sizeof(Key)){ // if CorrectInRow match sizeof(Key) then i know that i have a match inside MyCharArray.
std::cout << "Found: " << Key << " At: " << i << std::endl; // Print out where and what i found.
break; // Close the for loop.
}
}
else{
KeyNumb = 0; // Setting this to zero because if MyCharArray[i] did not match Key[KeyNumb] and next time i want to check the first char inside Key[].
CorrectInRow = 0; // Setting this to zero because MyCharArray[i] did not match Key[KeyNumb].
}
}
return 0;
}
Last edited on
Please edit to include code tags
https://www.cplusplus.com/articles/jEywvCM9/
You really should use the code format tags, code's pretty much unreadable without it.
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
    char MyCharArray[] = "mna89ybchellomas09as9";
    char Key[] = "hello";

unsigned int KeyNumb = 0;
    unsigned int CorrectInRow = 0;

for (unsigned int i = 0; i < sizeof(MyCharArray); i++) {
        if (MyCharArray[i] == Key[KeyNumb]) { // Check if char inside MyCharArray match with first char inside Key.
            CorrectInRow++; // Increment this because i want to know how many chars match in a row.
            KeyNumb++; // Increment this because now i know that next time in this loop i will want to check the next char inside Key[].
            if (CorrectInRow == sizeof(Key)) { // if CorrectInRow match sizeof(Key) then i know that i have a match inside MyCharArray.
                std::cout << "Found: " << Key << " At: " << i << std::endl; // Print out where and what i found.
                break; // Close the for loop.
            }
        }
        else {
            KeyNumb = 0; // Setting this to zero because if MyCharArray[i] did not match Key[KeyNumb] and next time i want to check the first char inside Key[].
            CorrectInRow = 0; // Setting this to zero because MyCharArray[i] did not match Key[KeyNumb].
        }
    }
    return 0;
}

You should remember that a char array initialised in this way also includes the null terminator at the end. So your checks shoulldn'b be against size(string), it should be against sizeof(string) - 1

If you run your code in a debugger, and step thru each line, you've be able to verify that the code is doing what you think it's doing.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.