exception with loop

Pages: 12
In the following code I get an exception that disappears when I comment out the line:

std::cout << "Element at m[" << i << "][" << j << "][" << k << "] = " << m[i][j][k] << endl;

from this code:
std::cout << "begin allocation:" << std::endl;
	int m[4000][7000][20] = { {{0}} };
	// output each element's value

for (int i = 0; i < 4000; ++i)
	{
		for (int j = 0; j < 7000; ++j)
		{

for (int k = 0; k < 20; ++k)
			{

std::cout << "Element at m[" << i << "][" << j << "][" << k << "] = " << m[i][j][k] << endl;
			}

}

}
	std::cout << "end allocation:" << std::endl;

I just increased the dim values and now I am getting buffer overrun errors at the time of posting.

buffer 'm' of size 0 bytes will be overrun; -2055527296 bytes will be written starting at offset 560000

I want to learn why the exception in the first place and also why i am getting this buffer overrun. Would it be better to manage this with a vector array?
Last edited on
m has over half a billion elements and a total size well over 2 gigabytes.
It's unlikely to fit on the stack.
And it's insane to print out all the elements.
If you really, really want to have 2,240,000,000 bytes (over 2GB) of data (assuming 32 bit int) then this will not fit on the stack. You definitely need to use dynamic memory from the heap.

But why do you need to store this many elements? What are trying to do? Does each element have a value - or is this some sparse array?

When you comment out the cout line, the compiler can see that you're not doing anything with m - and so doesn't create it! With the cout, the array is created as it's used and hence the error.
//std::cout << "Element at m[" << i << "][" << j << "][" << k << "] = " << m[i][j][k] << endl;

As you stated seeplus uncommenting out that line results in the exception being thrown. But I still don't understand why.

Dizzy Don the print option for the 2GB was only to see whether smoke came out of my machine.

I was able to reduce the memory to 700 x 400 x 2 = 560,000 elements from 560,000,000 (above). This is 2,240,000 mb an order of a 1000 from the first estimate. Assume 32bit ints.

Is that now heap memory or stack?(I don't mean this snarky-like, which is better really)

I am creating a 3d lookup table in which a 2-value index accesses 2 values unique to that 2-value index number. I am experimenting with this to see how fast I can get the access method to look-up for such a large array in real time.
Last edited on
As declared at the moment it is on the stack.

You could mark it static, and then it will be in yet another area of storage.

But you have yet to supply an adequate reason for an array of this size. What exactly is the look-up table (which you have spent several different threads trying to construct) supposed to be looking up?
Last edited on
As you stated seeplus uncommenting out that line results in the exception being thrown. But I still don't understand why.

I explained why in my post.
I explained why in my post.

I know you answered it - thank you for your time.

What does this mean:

the compiler can see that you're not doing anything with m

?But I am doing something - i'm trying to access element [i][j][k] in matrix m.

error: Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF79CF32428 in array_5.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x0000000000000001, 0x000000109C2E3000).
Last edited on
If the cout statement is removed, all you have are 3 loops with the values not used within the loops. ie the code does nothing. Most compilers in release mode with optimisations turned on are smart enough to recognise this and not generate any code for the loops. The compiler can also see that m isn't then used - so it doesn't try to allocate space for it.
How then would you use the m[i][j][k] without the exception? Could you give me an example of code that would work?
Last edited on
Please DON'T run this on cpp.sh!!!

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
   const int NX = 400, NY = 700, NZ = 2;
   static int m[NX][NY][NZ] = {};                 // Note static
   for ( int i = 0; i < NX; i++ )
   {
      for ( int j = 0; j < NY; j++ )
      {
         for ( int k = 0; k < NZ; k++ )
         {
            cout << "Element at m[" << i << "][" << j << "][" << k << "] = " << m[i][j][k] << '\n';
         }
      }
   }
   cout << "Done!!!\n";
}
Last edited on
Per the first code posted at top, the uncommented line below it does not cause an exception should the memory load be reduced from [4000][7000][20] to [400][70][2]. A memory issue. How do I know what dimensions and subsequent memory load wont cause overflow.

Lastchance's code below is able to go with a higher memory load for example[700][400][20] without any exception -is due to static/const use? How does this code eek out more memory?

const int NX = 400, NY = 700, NZ = 2;
   static int m[NX][NY][NZ] = {};                 // Note static
   for ( int i = 0; i < NX; i++ )
   {
      for ( int j = 0; j < NY; j++ )
      {
         for ( int k = 0; k < NZ; k++ )
         {
            cout << "Element at m[" << i << "][" << j << "][" << k << "] = " << m[i][j][k] << '\n';
         }
      }
   }
   cout << "Done!!!\n";
How does this code eek out more memory?

Stack, heap and static are different areas of memory.

Stack is relatively small.
Heap is very large and dynamic.
Static is large, but rather ... static.

https://craftofcoding.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/memory-in-c-the-stack-the-heap-and-static/
@lastchance

I was intrigued to find out just how large static memory could be on my system. I tried searching but to no avail. This is the output of ulimit -a on my Linux system:

real-time non-blocking time (microseconds, -R) unlimited
core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
scheduling priority (-e) 0
file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals (-i) 62428
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 8192
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files (-n) 1024
pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority (-r) 0
stack size (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes (-u) 62428
virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks (-x) unlimited

Or does the linker decide how much is needed and takes it from the available RAM?
Last edited on
@TheIdeasMan,
I'm afraid that I don't know. I know that static memory is in two separate data segments, one for initialised and one for uninitialised static/global variables. I presume it is set by your RAM, what you can actually address, and what your operating system is prepared to give you.

One of the difficulties in trying to find out is that a lot of web links are confusing stack and static memory.
@lastchance

Cheers, thanks for you answer. :+D

I will search a bit more, and let you know if I find out :+)

Edit:

Crap, I don't know why I didn't see this before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_variable

wiki wrote:
The absolute address addressing mode can only be used with static variables, because those are the only kinds of variables whose location is known by the compiler at compile time. When the program (executable or library) is loaded into memory, static variables are stored in the data segment of the program's address space (if initialized), or the BSS segment (if uninitialized), and are stored in corresponding sections of object files prior to loading.

Right, so it talks about data segment and BSS segment, just as you mentioned :+) On my system the data segment reports as unlimited, (output of ulimit -a command above), so presumably that means it takes what it wants at compile time, the rest is heap memory. I guess it will be quicker at runtime because it was allocated at compile time, as opposed to the book keeping required to allocate at runtime.

Anyway, thanks :+) ThingsLearnt++;
Last edited on
With MS VS, the default stack size is 1MB. This can be increased by using the /F compile option or /stack linker option. See

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/reference/f-set-stack-size?view=msvc-170
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/reference/stack-stack-allocations?view=msvc-170
If i remove the static from lastchance' code below I get buffer overflow error which disappears after I put the static back in. Am I right to conclude that this is because static allocates memory differently? Is static going to allocate on the stack?

static int m[NX][NY][NZ] = {};

seeplus
With MS VS, the default stack size is 1MB.
Ive got some reading to do. Iin the meantime can you please tell me is the defualt stack size for the program only but also to include memory size?
Last edited on
technologist wrote:
Am I right to conclude that this is because static allocates memory differently?

Yes

technologist wrote:
Is static going to allocate on the stack?

NO! Please read the other posts in the thread. Heap, stack and static are completely different areas of memory.
Last edited on
I thought it was cool how static played a role in the memory allocation, and that was a good example how.
Pages: 12