Site modernization

Pages: 1234
I think we should urge for a website modernization. I know we've had threads like this before, but they never seen to account for anything. So let's discuss some features that would modernize this place! I'll start with a few I'm interested in.

1) Markdown! This would seriously make posting so much easier. There have been times where I was going to respond to a fairly complicated post, but then just gave up because I had having to bring my mouse over to that side menu to format my text. I'm a keyboard guy, I want to avoid my mouse as much as I can.

2) Live notifications. Kind of like any social media website. Someone replies to your post, get a notification. Someone replies in a thread you replied to, get a notification. Someone mentions your name (possibly in a @ResidentBiscuit format, or quoting you), you get a notification. This would allow people to bring in more experienced folks to threads that they might have missed. If there's some template question I can answer in detail enough for the OP, I could ping @LB to get him in there.

3) Better profile system. I know this isn't a big deal since nobody ever goes there anyway, but they might if it wasn't from the 90s! The current system is so bare that it's basically pointless.

4) Better PM system. This also just feels ancient. I don't know why.

This is just what I thought of right now. I was just replying to someone and thought "Man, I could really go for some Markdown right about now..." and then I got motivated to make this post. So let's discuss these and others you have in mind! Maybe we can compile a list of like 3-5 features we would like added.
I do think modernizing this place a bit could help in bringing in more professionals, which would mean more knowledge. That's always a good thing.
maybe on peoples profiles they could put what area of c++ there good at
and then they could get notifications of posts that they would be best for
What is markdown?

I never use the mouse when posting. Except to hit "Submit"
Like maybe a tag system? Similar to how StackExchange operates?

That could be cool. Users can pick say 5 tags they specialize in. Have a forum that is specific to individual users which just has posts with the tags they specialize in.

So if I say I'm good at boost, networking, sfml, linux, and c++11, there would be another forum called Specialties that just aggregrates posts from the other forums (beginner, general, unix/linux, windows, lounge) which have any of those tags.
Disch wrote:
What is markdown?

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

It's used all over the place now. It's what StackOverflow uses for formatting. GitHub uses it also.

If you're unfamiliar with it, check out the syntax page and you'll see how simple it is to use.
1) I think markdown support is a great idea.
I use teletype formatting a lot in my posts, and I'd love being able to write `std::cout` and achieve the same as writing [tt]std::cout[/tt].

2) Live notifications, I don't care about that. So I vote neither for, nor against.

3) I do agree that the Profile and the My Topics pages can be improved (unsubscribe from thread, see all posts, see all threads etc.)

4) The entire forum feels more ancient than it does minimalist and simple (which was probably the intent). In my opinion, asking to modernize the PM system is like asking to modernize the wheel on a hansom cab.
> just gave up because I had having to bring my mouse over to that side menu to format my text.
In the meanwhile you could learn these:
- for emphasis you may use [i][/i]
- [code] for posting code
- [output] for output

> Someone replies to your post, get a notification.
Tracking options -> Subscribe

> I could ping @LB to get him in there.
you could use PM

> Better profile system
There is an Skills section in the current system.
Nothing is used, though

> Better PM system.
I would want you to expand on what's wrong with the current one.

> Have a forum that is specific to individual users which just has posts with the tags they specialize in.
Have fun in your club

> I'd love being able to write `std::cout` and achieve the same as writing [tt]std::cout[/tt].
It's a good feature, yes.
However, ¿what's the effect that you want to get? I think that using the quotes is good enough.
Last edited on
Tracking options -> Subscribe

Well sure, that goes to my email. Something that alerts you on the actual website (besides going to My Topics all the time.

you could use PM

Of course, but the point of this thread is improving.

Nothing is used, though

True, maybe there's not even a point to having a profile?

I would want you to expand on what's wrong with the current one

I think Catfish pretty much closed this point :)

Have fun in your club

I think you misunderstand? It would basically just be an aggregation page. Not like people are actually posting to these personalized forums, as it's not actually a forum. It's just a link to a page which shows threads relevant to what you said your skills are.
ne555 wrote:
> I could ping @LB to get him in there.
you could use PM
I would prefer a name-mention notification over a PM with a link to a post.

The current situation though is that twicker would have to deal with spaces in usernames, since they are currently allowed. Actually, a lot of this is stuff twicker would have to do himself or hire someone else to do (I assume) and so we might only see a few small improvements for now unless we all started donating like crazy.
> I think Catfish pretty much closed this point :)
I want a little more than just `feels ancient'.
Like that it lacks multicast so you cannot spam as much as you want to.
that is sorted by date instead of thread
that you don't want to be so promiscuous to allow anybody to PM you.

> I think you misunderstand?
I certainly did. Tagging threads seems useful

@LB: ¡you are here, it worked!
Last edited on
Twicker has said it a number of times in such threads and has told me in emails numerous times too. He jots down every request and will try to implement the ones that he feels won't cause an issue to the site. You have to remember though, twicker is the only person working on this site, likely has a day job and family so it can be a long time before any of that actually gets implemented.

My concern is that I've seen too many of these threads and most of the requests are to do things the way Stack Overflow/Stack Exchange does it. This raises the question, are we just trying to turn this site into a SO/SE rip-off site? Personally, I don't use a site for features, but, rather, I pick sites for if I feel they are helpful to the problem I'm seeking advice on or has people I can help with their problems.
closed account (10X9216C)
I'd say go with a solution that's already been built and tested. There are a lot of great solutions out there. But if he insists on keeping this website a personal pet project of his, then there isn't really much to be expected.

If there is one thing i want, is for the posting mechanism to be made in such a way that it doesn't eat posts. If i say submit now but I lose internet connection or take too long to post and I end up being logged out. I can't go back to resubmit.
Last edited on
myesolar wrote:
If there is one thing i want, is for the posting mechanism to be made in such a way that it doesn't eat posts. If i say submit now but I lose internet connection or take too long to post and I end up being logged out. I can't go back to resubmit.

This is another good suggestion. Your incomplete post being saved automatically as a draft.

I'd also suggest a notification system for new replies in the current thread ("2 new posts / Show"). Many times I copy my entire post and refresh the page just to see if new posts appeared, that would render my own completely redundant.

The lack of WYSIWYG and smart scripts are main contributors to the ancient feel of this site.
In my opinion.
Thread-like PM system would be great.

Rest in peace, Catfish666
i dont know if this was mentioned, but starring a post would be nice.
I don't know. This site does everything it needs to do and it does it fast.

Tagging a post would be nice, especially if that meant that new members would learn that linked lists have been discussed in every possible way.

I also do the copy/refresh thing, but ctrl-a, ctrl-c, ctrl-r, mouse-click, ctrl-v doesn't bother me too much.

I wonder if there are few enough posts going on here that a notification for every post wouldn't be annoying.
Last edited on
There's no search feature, you can't even go back to see all your/someone else's posts, just the last 5 so it makes it tedious if you want to go back and find a post with some useful information. I mean there's google search site:cplusplus.com, but it doesn't isn't always 100%.
I'd like to do a search and be able to have the most recent related results display first.
you can't even go back to see all your posts
If you go on your profile you can view all the posts you made.
Is it all? I think that is still limited to a certain number, you can check though should have over 110 pages? Not fun to go through one by one, as there isn't a search feature.
Pages: 1234