let's team up!

Pages: 12
Many of us programmers are lone sharks. I think we should group up - chat, laugh and program togather. We can help each other out with individual projects and also make some as a team.

IMO it's great to have as many people that share interests.

Right now all I know about programming is because I met someone that knows a lot about programming, and he started telling me things about it, and how cool is to work in a team to make cool games ( he is a game developer ). I think we can make a team to do great stuff too.

Rising programmers, RESPOND!
Last edited on
Let's make an operating system! We can call it chrisnameOS. After all of us...

I want to put this into our kernel of power:
void panic(const int errno, const char* errmsg) {
    kern_print("Kernel panic - %s\n", errmsg);
    kern_print("Kernel panic - error %d\n", errno);
}

Or to be more C++ oriented:
void panic(const int errno, std::string errmsg) {
    kernel::out << "Kernel panic - " << errmsg << "\n";
    kernel::out << "Kernel panic - error " << errno << "\n";
}
Last edited on
Lol, chris, thats not even funny. I think people will join, not just because of teamwork but because they're tired of having noone to brag about their projects to. You, for example. Always writing about your kernels and operating systems - I bet little friends of yours give a shit about what you come up with and/or do. Now stop editing your post o.O.

Its not a bad idea. I've already contacted cojones, but the more the marrier!

-Come, we have cookies.
Last edited on
:O that was mean.

I only talk about kernels and operating systems alot because I find them very interesting. And I don't really talk to my friends about programming much. I'm the only person I know who actually enjoys doing it...
didnt mean to be mean.

How the heck dont you get my point? Wouldnt you like to talk about it?
I know what you mean...

Anyway, what kind of thing would you be doing? If I can contribute, I will, although I'll most probably be out of my league...
But sure, I'll contribute in any way that I can. Not for being able to "brag", but I like working with other people. Doing things on my own is fun, and you get more of a kick out of it if you succeed... but doing things in a group can be good too.

It's a shame I don't know any other programmers. I've gotten one of my friends into it, he's learning python, but I don't know if it's "his thing"... I have it set in my mind that at some stage I will have a kernel that boots a shell... regardless of how long it takes. That's my whole motivation for learning. I don't think he has that same feeling...
Last edited on
A simple game is always fun to code, wouldnt you agree? IMO the main part of the team would be talking, discussing our latest pices of code, sw/hw, whatever we find interesting. And why do you write that i'd be out of your league? Even if it would be, you'd still learn something new. Its simply a win-win situation. You're doing the same thing here, just much slower because forums arent ment for this.

Meh out
I see where you're coming from, I'm in :P

How are we going to communicate? IRC? Write our own protocol? Learning socket programming and agreeing our own codes which we can decipher sent in the form of SYN/ACK packets?

By the way, gamedev really isn't my thing. I'll play along if that's what you're doing and help if I can, but I don't really like that kind of thing... which is weird because it's the very reason I wanted to learn to program... and the reason I failed so miserably at first. I expected it to go from "std::cin.get()" to "std::blit_surface()"...
Last edited on
For now - IM programs. there are plenty, Cojones uses skype atm so you can PM him about that.
haha :) You don't know any other programmers. Well this forum is full of programmers :) The only thing you have to do is to talk with them. That's why I started this topic, and it seems that you started posting things here and this means you are interested in teaming up with other programmers to do cool things.
I don't know, I like datagram deciphering thing. Then again we'd need each other's IP addresses for it to work...

I don't know anything about skype except that it includes VoIP. I don't want to use it, you guys must have something like windows live, right? And if you don't use windows, you can use Pidgin IM. I use that to talk across windows live...
What type of stuff would you guys want to do?
I'd be interested to see where this goes, and I might want to help, though I'm not sure if I'm as good as a lot of you
I'd be up to helping you guys do whatever.
I'd be up for it, again though I'm not quite as advanced as you probably.
If we are going to do a game, you should definitely check out the bullet physics library at www.bulletphysics.com it's really usefull and fairly easy to use. I don't have much experience with it though because I just recently stumbled upon it.
it's really usefull and fairly easy to use. I don't have much experience with it though because I just recently stumbled upon it.

Then how do you know it's useful and easy to use?

I'd definitely be up for talking to other programers and helping where I can. In terms of communication I have IRC/Skype/pidgin

Oh and I recomend Panda3D for game creation, I've used it quite a bit and its quite easy to get to grips with if thats what your into.

I personally am getting into socket programing, (both using nix sockets and Winsock.)
Funny you should say create our own chat protocoll thats what I'm trying to do ^_^ (though I doubt I'll get it to work well enough to be useful)
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
What if we're making a 2D game???

And out of all honesty, I don't think it's any fun coming up with yet another chat protocol. There is already like forty or more. I don't see why we can't make little cross-platform type apps. http://spuxproject.net/ open source Ventrilo 3.x protocol implementation. VoiP apps are good all around for experience plus a lot of people would love Spux when finished :D.
Heh i'm just using the chat protocoll to give me an introduction into using sockets. I dont think I'll do anything with it. as you say theres already a number of fine solutions why invent a solution to a problem that doesnt exist :p

Spux sounds cool actually, ^^

I'm up for anything so. yah :p
Pages: 12