Your Code as a Crime Scene

The full title of this programming book made me laugh:

Your Code as a Crime Scene: Use Forensic Techniques to Arrest Defects, Bottlenecks, and Bad Design in Your Programs
https://www.amazon.com/Your-Code-Crime-Scene-Bottlenecks-ebook-dp-B00ZB5XWBI/dp/B00ZB5XWBI/

Has anyone read the book? Would it be something worth adding to a programmer's library?
I haven't read it, but those reviews seem to confirm my first impression upon reading the premise of the book. I'd give this one a miss.
I found a free eBook, and I've glanced at the contents after I posted the OP. So far I'm not terribly impressed.

Thanks for an independent "review," helios. Just because I don't particularly like the book doesn't mean it isn't worth having. Now I know I won't be spending any money for it.

As I said, the book's title struck me as something amusing.
Hi Furry Guy

Go to https://allitbooks.net/ and type on search "Your Code as a Crime Scene". Download the pdf.

Note: I didn't told you that Big Lol

*AHEM*

me wrote:
I found a free eBook

Guess where I found (and downloaded) the eBook? The site you don't mention.
I gotta say, I'm getting pretty sick of your "big lols", man.
hi helios

Don't get mad. I am just like this. Always happy. Always with a Big Lol. Please don't interpret my Big Lol like it is making fun of people. It's not like that. I hope you understand.
Last edited on
You don't need to telegraph your LULZ by typing them. I laugh at stuff online all the time, here and at other forum type websites. I DO NOT waste time and effort in letting others know about it, 'cuz it can be irritating.
Last edited on
Heh heh heh, this thread is making me chuckle something fierce...
Touche, D. :)
This is my fault for being too curt. Well, since Furry Guy replied on this subject and it's their thread, I assume they won't mind if I go into a little more detail.

I don't think you're making fun of anyone, and I don't think you have to stop doing it. But I did felt it necessary to express what I think of it, for two reasons: one selfish and one not.
First in the hope that you'll stop, or that you'll at least do it less often. And second so you know that not everyone likes someone who laughs at everything, or who replies to everything with "LOL". Some people find it grating. It's not that it seems as if you're making fun of people, it's that laughter in a context where nothing is funny makes it seem like you're not taking the situation seriously. You can't react the same way when someone makes a joke as when you're in a technical discussion lol.
Well, you can act that way all the time if you want, but just know that not everyone is going to tell you it bothers them like I did, and that it can have consequences you might not like.
Hi guys

I think i got it. I think.

switch(showing_happiness)
{
  case IN_NORMAL_DISCUSSION:
    canType("Big Lol", false)
    break;
  case IN_NORMAL_JOKE:
    canType("Big Lol", true)
    break;
  case IN_TECHNICAL_DISCUSSION:
    canType("Big Lol", false)
    break;
  case IN_TECHNICAL_JOKE:
    canType("Big Lol", true)
    break;

default:
    canType("Big Lol", false);
}

Last edited on
helios, my two pence 'cuz this is my thread, dammit! :Þ

I personally don't think you were too curt. A bit blunt and to the point, absolutely. A nice light slap upside the head sometimes is needed to head off potential problems later that could erupt into worse confrontations.

I've been publicly confronted in the forums before on things I've posted, rarely with a few private messages. Sure, it isn't pleasant getting corrected in public, a bit humiliating, but after stepping back for a bit and reflecting on what was said was I able to take the comment(s) for what they were. Sound advice from someone who knows their shit.

One time there was a personal attack, clear and unequivocal. I think we both know the poster in question. ;)
Oh, and BTW:

helios wrote:
I assume they won't mind if I go into a little more detail.

You presumed correctly. :)
Last edited on
Maaaaan, this thread is reading like a crime scene.

What happened to Dead Tasty Wheat Pixels and bedding supermodels?
Forget it, Jake, it's "The Lounge."
Budding supper models.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.