What's your favorite keyboard?

Pages: 12
In http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/277844/ seeplus asked what people's favorite keyboard is. I like the question so I thought I'd start a thread here.

Personally, I like the "natural" keyboard models with the split keyboard. The MS 4000 is okay but I'm now using a Fellowes microban, hoping that the key legends don't wear off as easily as the Microsoft ones.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/276240/
My favorite is a 60% keyboard called the Happy Hacking Keyboard
https://www.hhkeyboard.com/uk/products/classic/
Or I guess an older version of it. I've had mine as a daily driver for about 3 years now. It's expensive, but easily justified as a tool that I hold for hours a day. It's also small, which is fantastic, and relatively quiet to type on, which is great.
Last edited on
I'd pay real money for an updated version of the gateway 2000 1991 macro keyboard :(
it had diagonal arrow keys (it emitted the up and left or up and right or down and left, down and right 2 key combos for you as one click) and hardware macros (the keyboard stored the macro data, not software/driver), and several other big features.

Ive never really had anything that good again. I don't think this helps you pick a new one.
Last edited on
I understand the appeal, but I've never been able to use anything less than a full keyboard to work. I really need my home cluster and my numeric keypad. You know what would be great? A keyboard that you could sort of snap out those two pieces and either leave them removed or snap them into the opposite end.
I think those exist helios, so many keyboards I've seen and one with a similar concept I know I've seen somewhere.

I have a laptop, I use my laptop keyboard (Lenovo 7i). Full RGB, every key is customizable, has the numpad, feels nice to type on. My laptop is connected to an MSI 32" gaming monitor, so I slide my laptop's screen underneath the monitor. I made a little platform for the laptop to sit on under the monitor that I made from binder cardboard and cardboard from the box of an Apple Keyboard (good quality cardboard - no use for the trashy keyboard that was inside).

When I first had the idea of doing this, I thought it would be terrible and I'd end up buying an external keyboard and having my laptop sit far away, but it's actually pretty nice and comfortable. I've been gaming and coding with this setup for 2-3 years now at least (my laptop and monitor have changed over the years but I use the same setup idea).
zapshe wrote:
no use for the trashy keyboard that was inside

Personally, I really like my Apple Magic Keyboard. It's lasted me for about 15 years now without a grumble or glitch (and so has my iMac!). It also doesn't use much battery– a couple of AA's will last it for a month or so.

I don't like the excessive width of PC keyboards, and plus, I have never had to use the keypad anyway. I know I'm going to get a ton of flak for saying that, but it's the truth!

And I don't see the point in the "joystick" dingus in the middle. People say they're "easy to use," but IMO they suck. I mean, it's a tiny little rubber button that if you give it a tiny push, it sends the cursor rocketing all over the screen.

Just out of curiosity, anyone here use DVORAK keyboards? I have used them occasionally, and they are not actually much different from a QWERTY keyboard. Just different key placement, that's all. Which is not a big deal if you're already a slow typer like me ;)
Last edited on
I have used them occasionally, and they are not actually much different from a QWERTY keyboard. Just different key placement, that's all.
I would assume anyone who knows what the DVORAK layout is or has looked at a picture of such a keyboard knows that, without having tried it. Actually what would be surprising would be if the keys were in the same place, despite the labels being different.
Also, "just"? How much more different can two keyboards be, once most keys are in different locations?
How much more different can two keyboards be, once most keys are in different locations?

I don't know, honestly. I just thought some people might think they're a lot more different than they actually are.

Ironically, I just realized that while I really like the Apple keyboard, I hate the Magic Mouse. And I like PC mice- the ones with a scroll wheel and two separate buttons.
I don't care for the mouse under the space bar (all laptops, bleh) or the between the key thing either one. its usable, barely, only in an emergency.

split keyboards annoy me too: you can't type 1h and mouse the other with them properly. I can see the appeal, if you don't mouse, but even knowing all the win shortcuts I still like my mouse for some tasks and doubly so for gaming.

you guys have me shopping too now... maybe I will splurge, this one is getting a bit worn.
Ugh. I think I hate touchpads even more than the joystick thing. They are just not ergonomic or user-friendly at all.

Although my old PowerBook G3 had a good touchpad. It didn't have the stupid pinch-to-zoom or double-tap or two-fingers-to-scroll or any of that stuff that makes using them such a pain. And it had separate buttons, which was nice.

Wish it was still as fast as my newer MacBook Pro. Oh well.
I use a very old Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse (something like 15 years) . It has adjustable weight and 2,000dpi resolution (with three 'speed' settings). I have it as heavy as possible and highest sensitivity...very used to finger tip movement...I would swap it for my, now spare, Apple Magic Mouse if I could get that on my PC.
Grey Wolf wrote:
I use a very old Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse

I use a Logitech wireless track ball mouse with each PC. While the trackball mice are not 15 years old, I've replaced them back in 2016 because they were showing signs of being over-worked, I switched from a regular mouse to a trackball about the time when Logitech originally released one. About 2009.

I'd been using Logitech wired trackballs years before I went wireless, starting out with a model that was usable by either hand.

Despite being a southpaw I find my current right-hand oriented track ball to be quite comfortable in my right hoof, I've used it for so long I find using any other type of mouse annoying.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-M570-Wireless-Trackball-Mouse/dp/B0043T7FXE/

I have cluttered desks, so the need for a lot of room to move a conventional mouse is not an issue.
Grey Wolf wrote:
I would swap it for my, now spare, Apple Magic Mouse if I could get that on my PC

Are you sure it won't work on your PC? It just uses Bluetooth. Although I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Apple built something onto it that made it only work with Apple computers ;)

@Furry Guy,
I used a trackball for a while, until I got arthritis or something in my right hand from using the scroll wheel and the trackball so much. So now I have to use the Magic Mouse because it has a touch-sensitive surface. Ugh.

Edit:
Apparently what I have is called repetitive strain injury, not arthritis. Whatever. Anyway, it hurts my hand to use a scroll wheel and trackball now.
Last edited on
agent max wrote:
Are you sure it won't work on your PC?
My PC hasn't got Bluetooth so I'd have to get a dongle for it, then I'd have to get a driver the would allow the 'Magic'...available at a price...I know it possible, so it's more like 'if I could use it with all it's functionality and without any further outlay then I would'.
(it's a 2009 Magic Mouse with some damage from a leaking battery, it still works but needs some TLC)

My PC hasn't got Bluetooth

No offense, but how old is your PC? My desktop is from 2005 (and so is my mouse/keyboard), and it has Bluetooth. Although I guess maybe not all new computers have Bluetooth...?

But that makes sense. Yeah, if you have a regular mouse that works fine, there's no point in going to all that trouble for the Apple mouse.
Last edited on
agent max wrote:
No offense, but how old is your PC?
non-taken.

My main PC is a HP Z230 Workstation not entirely sure of its age (5-6 years I think) but Bluetooth was not a must have feature. My HP ProDesk 400 (similar age test PC) also doesn't have Bluetooth. My Laptops have Bluetooth but I have no need for a mouse on them.
Bluetooth is nowhere near ubiquitous on desktop motherboards. My computer is from three years ago (not counting the CPU, which is newer) and it doesn't have it. Last year I put together a new pfSense router and it also doesn't have it.
Hell, Wi-Fi is much more in demand than Bluetooth and most motherboards don't have it. Only when you go to the high-end models can you find integrated Wi-Fi.
wifi and bluetooth are all but worthless on many desktop setups.
Pages: 12