I know I said it would be my fault..

I remember that at one point I said that if I fail a class that it would be my fault, but I may have to recant that.

Who'd of thought a professor could be so old and bitter that you put down the right answer and gives you no credit because you didn't circle it. Then offers to give back 1/3 of the points back after I don't accept his stupid reasoning and seconds of uncomfortable silence and eye contact.

The man's fragile ego showed as he started borderline yelling at me when I told him I had the right answer saying, "What did I say? You have to show me that that's your answer!"

And half the test was just definitions that he gladly took points off arbitrarily for not using a particular word he wanted in the definition, even if you more than showed you understood what the concept was.

This is an AI class - with only one coding assignment.. That was my favorite assignment, had fun doing optimizations that made my program run extremely fast and take up very little memory. After seeing what other classmates had done for the assignment (taking hours and 100s of gigabytes to solve what my program did in a couple seconds with 2GB worst-case), I'd say my program was one of the best (if not the best) submitted.

Not that the professor cares.. since I got a low score for not showing the puzzle at every state from unsolved to solved (I had all the moves written out which was required). The code to do so was in my submission (for testing purposes), it just never called the function so that I wouldn't lose points for having "too" much.

I had to read the instructions 3 times over to finally see that somewhere he had written "show the states" in an ambiguous and inconspicuous way. Literally other students were arguing that it wasn't written at all it was so hard to see where he wrote it..

His lectures are dry and boring, his handwriting is completely illegible half the time, and all homework is given on paper... presumably he doesn't know how to use the university website.

This is all not to mention his "my way or the highway" approach, blatantly not caring if you can do something - but whether you can jack him off while doing it.

I don't have a single good professor this semester, they're all garbage who teach nothing, but this guy really wanted to stand out as the worst of the worst.
Last edited on
Sorry for the tangent, but I've been waiting for the opportunity to bitch about this for the longest time.
Who'd of thought
I understand that it sounds similar, but it still baffles me that people write "would of <participle>" and that it's a common mistake. It would simply never occur to me to randomly replace a verb (or, well, an auxiliary) with a preposition.
Last edited on
It would simply never occur to me to randomly replace a verb (or, well, an auxiliary) with a preposition

Lmao, yea, it should be "would have" but it's just basically slang at this point. It's one of those things were no one really cares unless they're a language buff.

If writing an essay or something, I'd use "would have", but I'd seriously doubt any professor would care enough to mark "would of" wrong.

It may seem like a complete disregard for the true usage of the word "of", but when a trend (even mistakes) picks up steam, people don't care about the "true" usage.
They care more than you think. In a formal setting, there are 3 usual possible cases:
- you know better, but are lazy or do not care
- you don't know better
- you missed that it was a formal setting

all of which make you look less than stellar. There are almost no scenarios where it matters that you look better by writing leetspeak or slang. Getting cool points with the guys at the pub doesn't count as a scenario where it matters.

I got fussed at for taking off points for high school level errors when grading college material -- the prof said I was being too picky. So there is another side of the coin...
When in school, you do whatever moronic thing you are told to do if you want full points. Everyone went through this to one degree or another. You seem to have had an extra rough go of it, but that is much of what college is about. I don't know about all fields but computing, most of what is needed on the job, you have to learn on your own. The field is too big now to get you job ready; instead, they need to get you far enough that you can proceed on your own.
I got fussed at for taking off points for high school level errors when grading college material -- the prof said I was being too picky. So there is another side of the coin...

Lmao. It's funny because my English professors have been the most lenient compared to other professors who expected essays.

I don't usually look over my papers for errors, especially if they're long. Usually there may be an error here or there but very minimal, I usually assume the content of the paper is more important.

I know it seems less professional, but when you've got 4 other classes to worry about *shrug*.
It's funny because my English professors have been the most lenient compared to other professors who expected essays.

That's weird- for me it was my History professor who didn't really give a damn about spelling, punctuation, etc, and it was my English teachers who docked points for every tiny error. I very nearly failed English 235 (Technical Writing) for that very reason.
I took 3 English classes and they were super chill professors. Pretty much every professor who's expected writing in any other class has been stricter.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.