Windows Programming - September 2021

DrawText help - Follow-up Question

I'm trying to paint a star from the wingdings character set. I get nothing on the screen. SQUARE inherits from RECT. I've stepped through the code. I kno...
[4 replies] Last: I think SetBkMode(hdc, TRANSPARENT); might be what you are looking ... (by The Grey Wolf)
DPI scaling issues (1,2)

I am not getting the scale ratio right, what am I doing wrong?. The button always moves at a different scale ratio. #ifndef UNICODE #define UNICODE #endif ...
[22 replies] Last: I found an interesting article; https://mariusbancila.ro/blog/2021/05... (by JohnOfC)
DXGI ERROR: IDXGIFactory::CreateSwapChain: No target window specified

I get "DXGI ERROR: IDXGIFactory::CreateSwapChain: No target window specified in DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC, and no window associated with owning factory. [ MISCELLANE...
[no replies]
DC understanding

This forum has been great to learn faster when my Petzold book and online searches fail to help with certain understanding of concepts and what goes on behind t...
[5 replies] Last: Nah. I'm way past getting offended by any forum post. I just keep as... (by dodge55)
VS2019 Windows.h / MFC conflict

I've been working on a static library. Everything was fine until a couple of days ago. Then I started getting the following error message: 1>C:\Program File...
[6 replies] Last: @forgottencoder - Thanks for the link. That was helpful. I replaced ... (by AbstractionAnon)
by volang
getaddrinfo parameters

I got something like this: void func(addrinfo * ip_list) { addrinfo hints; ZeroMemory(&hints, sizeof(hints)); hints.ai_family = AF_UNSPEC; hin...
[3 replies] Last: Don't forget to call freeaddrinfo() to free the memory allocated by ge... (by kbw)
SFML window size?

Working on that book "Beginning C++ Game Programming" on the 1st Timber project. My desktop recommended display is 1360x768 & code asks us to use a window 1920...
[2 replies] Last: // get screen resolution void MainApp::GetDesktopResolution(int& hor... (by Geckoo)
Automatically Activating a button after CreateWindow

I have 6 buttons created like this with different tasks: CreateWindow(L"BUTTON", L"OVERVIEW", WS_VISIBLE | WS_CHILD, 0, 0, 100, 25, hwnd, (HMENU)TAB_OVERVIEW...
[5 replies] Last: Finally, change the PostMessage() call above to SendMessage() and note... (by freddie1)
Using different text colors on the same printed line

If I'm using the default system font, which is not symmetrical, how can I print a list of 3 items per line, where the 3rd item is GREEN? So, I'm doing a 'l...
[6 replies] Last: Thanks for the responses. I think I'll just spread out my display lik... (by dodge55)
Creating a child window that can't be dragged

I have the following code that creates an About Window. AboutBox is called from WndProc(). How do I create the window in AboutBox so that the box is not movea...
[5 replies] Last: JohnOfC - perfect. Thanks. Works great. (by dodge55)
by CandyK
Possible to make VisualStudio stop breaking on errors caught by try/catch while debugging?

Hey In Visual Studio19, I can only figure out how to make it ignore the error in general, but I don't want to do that because I obviously want to catch the erro...
[1 reply] : Under Debug > Windows > Exception Settings, uncheck everything in the ... (by helios)
Looking for C++ IDE for Windows (1,2)

Can someone point me to where I can find a C++ IDE for Windows development? Embarcadero won't let you install C++ Builder if you have the Delphi community ed...
[33 replies] Last: Hey Just download it from here: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/do... (by CandyK)
Compiling using wxWidgets and mingw

I am trying to compile a program that, for now, solely includes wxWidgets's necessities. I have a directory with an include and lib folder containing the res...
[1 reply] : MinGW is not Visual Studio. Your make is including files only needed ... (by George P)
problem with LPWSTR

I have this code which with address being "c:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe" as input won't work: void open(std::string address, Commander* c) { LPWSTR...
[6 replies] Last: It wasn't working because you weren't converting from a narrow string ... (by kbw)
WM_PAINT - round 2

So, I want to create a window with text "Please select file to open" in the center, but only on the initial window. Once the user clicks on any button, I want ...
[7 replies] Last: Thanks, Furry Guy, you are right. Missed that. (by dodge55)
Control from c ++ PDF

I wanted to put the PDF file on one page. When opening with "# page = 123" or "/ A page = 123" in the path or as a parameter in ShellExecute does not work. Ho...
[2 replies] Last: I'm testing on PDF versions 8.3 and 10.1.16 (by danekbb)
Path to learn Windows API (1,2)

I am a software developer that has been retired for 5 years, but now would like to learn some Windowes API Gui programming for personal use in my hobbies. What...
[31 replies] Last: LRESULT fnWndProc_OnMouseWheel(WndEventArgs& Wea) { int zdelta=GET_... (by freddie1)
by Rob190
Visual Studio: preventing unecessary recompiles of static libs (1,2)

MSVC Version 16.11.0 Preview 4.0, Windows 10. I have two MSVC C++ apps which share a number of static libraries. When I switch from one solution to the other a...
[24 replies] Last: You're welcome. I'm not keen on putting everything in one solution. ... (by malibor)
by Dvd
QueryFullProcessImageName works while debugging and not in runtime

This function should print to the console the path of the desired process by its PID, but it only works fine while I am debugging. When the application is compi...
[2 replies] Last: Thanks a lot for the north (by Dvd)
  Archived months: [aug2021] [oct2021]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.