Should I begin game programming with C++

I am not really sure if I should start here or not, or with what tool's I should use. I have no real understanding of it yet, which it might just be me. Although I have been trying to understand it for a half a year now, but nothing seems to click with me, and this is what really want to do, game programming, but so far its really hard to understand all these toutorials, I use unity3D and try to understand the scripting for C++, but I am really having a hard time, so is there anything out there to help me?
Do you at least tried C++ in console ?

add me to skype mantasxxl3
I have tried but I do not have skype, I do this form a computer at my high school, I do it as a independent study, so i cant add you on skype, sorry.
closed account (zb0S216C)
cody mick wrote:
"Although I have been trying to understand it for a half a year now, but nothing seems to click with me"

That could indicate a few possible indications:

1) You're not cut from the same cloth as most programmers. In other words, you don't have the mental capacity required to grasp the complexity of programming (I'm not saying you're stupid here) -- it's a truth some wannabe programmers have to inevitably face because their genetics simply don't allow it. However, if you do find that some programming concepts, such as object-oriented design, makes sense logically, then perhaps you are able to program. If the latter is the case, then perhaps C++ is too steep of a learning curve to be considered a practical beginner language.

Maybe you should consider a more condensed language such as Python[1] -- such languages abstract the user even further away from low-level concepts which helps you see the bigger picture more clearly in terms of programming concepts. When you're familiar with the concepts, advance to a more complex language, such as Java.

2) You're not using an effective method for studying. Some people don't realise that their method of studying impairs their ability to learn a subject effectively, but instead they think that their ability to learn a subject is non-existent. Each and everyone of us learn better when information about a subject is conveyed to us through sound and/or vision, to name a few, for example. Try a different studying approach to the subject to see if information fixates in your head.

cody mick wrote:
"and this is what really want to do, game programming, but so far its really hard to understand all these toutorials"

I don't want to burst your bubble, but game development requires working knowledge of advanced data-structuring and systems design along with various other aspects such as graphics. In addition, a language such as C/C++ (considered the industry standard language for games) needs to be understood to a large extent before even contemplating game development.

It amazes me that some people use game development as their motivation to program. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with motivation, regardless of your motivation's form, but, some wannabe game developers want to create a AAA game that's capable of competing against Battlefield 3. The harsh truth is that this simply isn't a practical goal when starting to program, or even for experienced programmers.

On the contrary, some wannabe game developers develop goals such as create a game that can rival Pong or Pac-Man -- these goals are fine and perfectly realistic.

cody mick wrote:
"I use unity3D and try to understand the scripting for C++, but I am really having a hard time, so is there anything out there to help me?"

Firstly, C++ is not a script-based language. Secondly, Unity3D assumes you have working knowledge of C++ when you attempt to integrate it into your application. Realistically speaking, Unity3D is used by programmers who are fluent with C++ as Unity3D utilises advanced resource management techniques and assumes your knowledgeable enough to understand their reasoning for some of their design choices.

In regards to resources aiding your study of Unity's integration (I assume this is what you meant), you'd have to abandon the idea of game-engines for now and just learn C++ if you're able.

There are some harsh truths in the above text, so you have to either suck them up and embrace them or run in the opposite direction.

[1]http://www.python.org/

Wazzak
Last edited on
Well thanks for your time and yes, there are some truths in that, but that does not stop me from my goal, I do have the math capability to do this, I got the highest math scores in my school, but so far it has not mattered no, but maybe it will click for me in a while, but I don't know.
So do you suppose I start doing even smaller projects then games? I don't even really care that its not video game's that I program, I just like the though of making something do what you want it to, and effectively play god, hahaha! I mean that's all I want, that's what my drive is, and always will be. Again though I thank you for your time and I will check out python, and if there is anything else that you can suggest, even if it is not games, would be appreciated! I also accept your criticisms and embrace them because when I am stuck to doing something I do it, especially my dreams, you know?

edit: I forgot to mention that yes, I do work better with a instructor that I can ask question's, because I retain any information if I can ask questions, so I don't think my goal's out of reach either, because I have really good memory, I think.
Last edited on
closed account (zb0S216C)
cody mick wrote:
"So do you suppose I start doing even smaller projects then games?"

It may sound contradictory, but you can still build games even though you're a beginner. Games like Pac-Man and Pong are simple games that can be built by beginners with a little push -- such games are what most successful game developers built before they began their career.

Since you said that a project doesn't have to be a game, for now, let's stick with the games theme. Since you're an aspiring games developer, you should be aware [by now] that game developers create tools to aid themselves and other developers of their team. Perhaps you could create a few tools to create and/or modify the assets of your game and/or create a small level/map editor to build your game's world -- little programs that will help you when the time comes to actually begin developing your game.

If your true goal is to build games, then by all means work at that goal. Who knows, you might even work for Bethesda one day and contribute to the next Elder Scrolls release :)

Wazzak
Last edited on
I will look into creating tools for myself, but what should I use to do this, an IDE? Im not really sure because it seems like the IDE I have is only a console thing for C++ and
I looked at python and I think I downloaded it correctly, but im not sure, because I only got a command prompt when I opened it.
Sorry I would fix up what I said but I have no time left at school to say or fix anything, I got to go, but I will try and look up somethings!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.