From Nothing to Real Programming

Hey,

so I've been searching for some specific C++ Boards that also have a Beginners area, because thats exactly what I need. So the following is probably being asked a million times each day, or in similar ways. From all that I found through the Internet no one really asked the question in this way, and I hope I will get an answer. One thing I want to point out before anyone answers, please do not be like who are saying, coding is something that takes time, and I know that and I got plenty of time and also am encouraged to learn c++.

So here is the actual question. Is there any where in the whole web a tutorial, course, series of guides, anything like that, that teaches C++ from nothing into Game Development. So something that really starts from scratch and also begins with a hello world program, but then moves further and slowly builds up, but into the direction of game development? Now I do not mean like really 3d high end games, I mean like simple games similar to Teeworlds". Two things that would be great about the tutorials (but are not necessary):
-It should be for Mac (optional)
-Should be free (optional)
It can also be for windows and also cost (I actually expect costs for such a course). The kind of media is also not specific, it can be an e-book, a normal book, a video series anything! If someone knows something like that and even knows something about it, like if it is good or not that good then please also post that.

Thanks a lot for taking your time to read this post and hopefully answer.
Kind Regards
Cribbel
I'm sure there is. But probably most assume you know the basics of C++, which is completely reasonable to assume.
@ResidentBiscuit
Thanks for your reply. Well I think understanding the basics of it shouldn't be a problem. I got an E-Book which has a few basic things about C++. I could learn those basics, but still the tutorials or guides or whatever should still be at a beginner level so not to complicated.

I hope someone knows something about it :S

Thanks a lot.
Kind Regards
Cribbel
My Two Cents

Yes, learning to program takes time. Learning C++ also takes time. You see, programming and learning C++ are kinda different things. You can learn C++ as your first language sure, but hopefully you also learn how to 'program' as well.

What I mean is being able to solve problems. There is a website that gives a game programming prerequisite exercises. You should be able to complete these exercises(just in the console) before worrying too much about game programming. If you don't like these exercises chances are you won't like game programming. But in no way do I mean to discourage you. You could also always PM me for any questions you may have in your journey. Here is the website with the exercises.
http://www.moosader.com/resources/tutorials/game-programming-prerequisite-test/1

Once, you can do these, you can then start joking around with game development. Now you may wonder, but where do I go? Well, you will want to explore a graphics library. Most start with SDL but there are others like Allegro and SFML. These are good for 2d games. There are YOUTUBE vids and other resources that can help you pick which one to use, but honestly just go with SDL.

There are "Let's make a game's" available on YOUTUBE with SDL. So if you wanted to, you could go on ahead and install SDL to your compiler and follow along with these tutorials, however this comes at a cost to your true understanding of logic/math and all that jazz.

Gross, you use MAC! jk

Good-day

Erock
Well it's not really an absolute beginner topic. You do need to have some knowledge of things to make games.
@ResidentBiscuit
But thats what I mean. Arent there tuts that start from scratch and go into that stuff. If I would want to start directly to make games obviously I know I need to have previous knowledge. I just thought there might be some kind of guide in that direction that could help get into this from the start.

@Erock
Thanks a lot for the long reply. Well C++ would not be my first language. But I do have to say I have not fully completed another programming language (okay you never finish a programming language) but I mean never went into really professional stuff with those. But mainly I only know Html, Css, and PHP which do not really help me with C++, then I have some basic Java knowledge. I actually had to decide between C++, but I just find C++ is the one to go with, although I have already some Java knowledge. I also know about many youtube videos, but I just like to follow one person or one series where the person or group presenting this tutorial use a similar style through out. Although there are so many tutorials, they all every time differ slightly from one another. For Java I followed one guy, who really kept his style of presenting, which was really great and especially really good to follow and learn from. But still thanks I will definietely check out the link and look into your suggestion.

Thanks a lot.
Kind Regards
Cribbel
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I have been reading Michael Dawson's Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, and it has been a big help. It doesn't get very advanced. At the end of the book you are still working on console windows. If that is what you meant.

Hope this helped!
Last edited on
@cppprogrammer297
Hey that book looks really great almost like exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for that book.

Thanks a lot.
Kind Regards
Cribbel
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
No problem.
I'm sorry, but I can't answer your questions directly. I don't know if there exists a series of tutorials that fits your description.

However, I do recommend you master the basics first if you haven't already. When you've mastered pointers, classes, structures, polymorphism, you can start by programming text based games. Then when you're comfortable with that, you can move on to more advanced game programming like graphics.

I've been into a little game programming. I personally prefer Allegro because It's easier than SDL. Haven't tried out sfml, so I don't know about that yet.

However, you need to choose which library that suits you the most.

Sorry if I wasn't to any help.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.