How much C++ knowledge is required to write a game like CubeWorld?

I'm starting to learn C++ and I was wondering how much knowledge would be required to write an RPG like CubeWorld ( https://picroma.com/cubeworld ). I'm not wanting to write a clone but at least I'll know what I can work towards.

I'm looking at purchasing a the book C++ Primer if it's worth getting?
Last edited on
If you want to get "straight" into game-programming I'd recommend going with a game-engine (Unity is my personal favorite, and free!). Otherwise you would most likely be getting into OpenGL, which has a high learning curve (I've been messing around with it on and off for years and have never finished anything using it:P )

EDIT: Otherwise, to get into game-programming with C++ I would recommend going 2D at first, using something like SFML
Last edited on
If you are just beginning c++ you will have alot to learn to get to a game like that. Now Im not saying you are not capable or that it is impossible, but you must have a thirst to learn more. You will incounter struggles to understand some concepts, but if you work hard you will get to where you want to go.
As fafner said it would be good to get into a free game engine like unity3D because it teaches you the basic of game development. Still you are gonna want to learn the basics of c++, learn some math for games, and you will be on your way.
Thanks guys, pretty helpful and friendly community here by the looks of it unlike StackOverflow. I'm going to spend a few months getting the basics of C++ then try and my some really simple (like a calculator) then I'm going to look at OpenGL:)

EDIT: and SDML first!
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.