error: expected primary-expression before ';' token

I got the error "error: expected primary-expression before ';' token" when trying to compile the following code. What might be the problem?

#include <iostream>
#include <stdexcept>
#include <exception>
using namespace std;

class MyException : public std::invalid_argument{};

int main() {
    try {
        throw MyException; //here is the problem
    }
    catch (std::invalid_argument& ex) {
        cout << "invalid argument : " << ex.what();
    }
    catch (MyException& ex){
    }

return 0;
}
Try:
throw MyException();
I tried it but then I got another error.

main.cpp: In constructor ‘MyException::MyException()’:
main.cpp:6:7: error: no matching function for call to ‘std::invalid_argument::invalid_argument()’
main.cpp:6:7: note: candidates are:
In file included from main.cpp:2:0:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.7.2/../../../../include/c++/4.7.2/stdexcept:86:14: note: std::invalid_argument::invalid_argument(const string&)
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.7.2/../../../../include/c++/4.7.2/stdexcept:86:14: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 0 provided
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.7.2/../../../../include/c++/4.7.2/stdexcept:83:9: note: std::invalid_argument::invalid_argument(const std::invalid_argument&)
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.7.2/../../../../include/c++/4.7.2/stdexcept:83:9: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 0 provided
main.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
main.cpp:10:27: note: synthesized method ‘MyException::MyException()’ first required here 
main.cpp:15:5: warning: exception of type ‘MyException’ will be caught [enabled by default]
main.cpp:12:5: warning:    by earlier handler for ‘std::invalid_argument’ [enabled by default]
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
you need to write a constructor that passes a string to the invalid_argument constructor
I think you need to throw an error object that is an instantiation of your exception class instead of the class name by itself.
Try doing
throw MyException("what argument string");

I tried that and to my surprise it did not work.
I think you may have to type a constructor and have it call the super constructor.
Last edited on
By default the default constructor (the constructor that takes no arguments) will call the default constructor of the base classes. std::invalid_argument has no default constructor so MyException will not get a default constructor. If you want MyException to have a default constructor you will have to define it yourself, and specify what std::invalid_argument constructor you want to use in the constructor initialization list.

MyException::MyException() : std::invalid_argument("what argument string") {}
Last edited on
Thanks Peter87, you explained it well.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
I tried that and to my surprise it did not work.
I think you may have to type a constructor and have it call the super constructor.

of course it doesnt work. in c++ classes dont have default constructors that take args. so doing that without writing a constructor that takes a string will flag an error.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.