Vector subscript out of range? ifstream

Only just started using vectors and pretty clueless with them! anyway... I am grabbing all file names in a directory with a .txt file extension. Storing those files in string vector named listOfFiles.

//Prototype Functions
string Filter(string & str, char, char);
void calcAndShowResults(int, float, int , float, float);
void getFileNames(std::vector<std::string> *fileList);

//Main Function
int main ()
{
	std::vector<std::string> listOfFiles; // No pointer
	getFileNames(&listOfFiles);

for ( int i = 0; i < 9; i++)
    {

//Opening HH for reading
		ifstream handHistory; 
		handHistory.open (listOfFiles[i]) ;

//Close Program if unable to open HH
			if (! handHistory.is_open () ) 
			{
				cout << "Unable to open " << endl;
				i = 8;
			}

//Array for the lines of text
			string Line[4]; 	
			//Loop each line of text and then store it in the Line array
			for (int x = 0; x < 4; x++) 
			{
				getline (handHistory, Line[x]);	
			}

//Close HH now we have grabbed the data we need
		handHistory.close();
    }
}

And the function to grab the filenames and store them in a vector.

//GetFileNames Function
void getFileNames(std::vector<std::string> *fileList)
{
	WIN32_FIND_DATA search_data;

memset(&search_data, 0, sizeof(WIN32_FIND_DATA));

HANDLE handle = FindFirstFile("C:\\test folder\\*.txt", &search_data);

while(handle != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
	{
		fileList->push_back(std::string(search_data.cFileName));

if(FindNextFile(handle, &search_data) == FALSE)
			break;
	}
}

So i use a loop of 8 because I have 8 text files in the folder with names , text1.txt , text 2.txt , text 5.txt , text 22.txt etc (not in sequential order) but I want to be able to open the first text file , grab 4 lines of text , store it in a string array, close the file , (do some calculations which i left out) then open the next file.

So in theory i in the loop is 0 on the first run so open listOfFiles[0] (text1.txt) grab the 4 lines , run calculations , close it, next loop i = 1 so grab listOfFiles[1] (text2.txt) grab 4 lines etc etc...

Now the problem I have is when I use a cout in the loop for testing the value of listOfFiles[i] it should be (text1.text) but instead it lists all of the text files but when I write cout << listOfFiles[0]; it correctly displays just the first text file name.

I think the part of the error is because the vector is trying to fstream open all the files at once hence the subscript out of range. How do I write it so the loop value of i is what the correct filename from the listOfFiles is? On the other hand though when I tell it to

handHistory.open (listOfFiles[0]) ;

It still throws the same error so it might not be that :(

I have copied the files from the test directory into the project directory so the files are all there.
From that, it sounds like the vector isn't even being populated. Have you tried using a debugger to step through and make sure there isn't some other error occurring when trying to get the file data?
When I cout the vector
std::cout << listOfFiles[i];

it displays them all correctly

when i

std::cout << listOfFiles[1];

It correctly displays the second file in the list so its populated correctly.
That's inconsistent with listOfFiles[0] throwing an out of range error. That would only happen if the vector was empty. I still think you should check the status of the variable right before the error occurs and see what the state of the variable is. Then you can work your way backwards and figure out what caused it to be that way.
Jesus , sorry for wasting your time I was being so dumb. I set my loop (i < 9) when it should have been (i < 8) .... sorry again
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.