Possible?

Hello world :P

Not only is that a greeting but also the limit of my current abilities. :(

Here is my situation.

I will be starting a new job soon , i will record variuos chemical levels stored in 3 tanks. Each tank will hold a seperate chemical. At pressent the guys just record it on a piece of paper , keep it for a few days then throw it away.

So I am thiking about setting up a simple easy programme, that can record the volume and at what times and dates there are recorded. Would it then be possible to send that information to a data base mysql maybe?

Please note I am not asking someone to code this for me I beleive in work and pay, nor am i offering some one a job. I just want to know if it is possible, and would it be something huge to do. If it is possible what software would you guys recommend for it?

I am still looking at various options for the data base. Could these be hired or leased online? Any advice or help would be greatly apprecaited, even if it the cost of writting the code for this programme.

Thanks
Depends on how robust you want the program. I mean you could get a cheap computer, install MySQL or database on it. Then you have the option of using C++ to write a terminal or GUI app to submit to it. Or, if you install apache, MySQL, and PHP you could use PHP and PDO to connect to the database and just write a simple local webpage to enter the data and submit to the database and have a page you go to that brings it all up in a printed table by month or such. If you want something more than that you will be wanting specialized tools that either have to be bought or coded by a programmer.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Thanks BHX. I read your post a few times and each time it made a bit more sense. I will be googling a lot of things you have suggested thanks .
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
int thisisanumber;

cout<<"Please enter reading on Tank number 1: ";
cin>> thisisanumber;
cin.ignore();
cout<<"You entered: "<< thisisanumber <<"\n";
cin.get();

cout<<"Please enter reading on Tank number 2: ";
cin>> thisisanumber;
cin.ignore();
cin.get();

cout<<"Please enter reading on Tank number 3: ";
cin>> thisisanumber;
cin.ignore();
cin.get();

This is what I have so far... What I would like to do is the following:
Add a header. Some simple like welcome.
Add the current date and time.
Instead of "You have entered" which is easy to change, but i would like to make it a bit more complex, for example "You have entered (number) do you with to proceed Y/N?
Once all three have been done, a simple Question such as "Do you wish to proceed and upload the following results?" Y/N ?
Then a footer , such as "You results are being uploaded, please be patient"
Once results have been uploaded a simple "You must now press enter to close this window"

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks
char yesno;
cout<< "Do you wish to proceed(Y/N)?"<<endl;
while (yesno!='n' && yesno!='y')
{
cin>>yesno;
if (yesno=='y')
{/*proceed*/}
if (yesno=='n')
{/*cancel*/}
else
{cout<<"Please press 'N' or 'Y' "<<endl;}
}

You could make a GUI pretty easily using SFML.
Last edited on
Hi Zoidberg , i have no idea where to put your code, i have tried a few places but keep getting errors
'yesno' was not declared in this scope|
||=== Build finished: 12 errors, 0 warnings ===|

Would it be possible for you to post your working version here? Or tell me what I did wrong? Or where it should be added? I tried SFML .... No install , not sure how i am supposed to get it to work , but thanks anyway tried various versions no luck....

I am using windows 7 64 bit and code blocks 10.05 if that helps ..
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.