[Noob] Wondering best program to write C++?

closed account (9zypfSEw)
Hello, I hope this is the write forum, but I am curious as to what you would reccomend for coding C++? I have a windows PC, so I can't use xCode.

I am just looking for a good program to get into C++ with. I have seen DEV C++, but I think it is old and doesn't look to extensive with capability.

Please let me know what you use or what you think is the best!

Thank you!
I've been using Code::Blocks, but some people might argue that Virtual Studio is better.
@Honor

I've been using Code::Blocks, but some people might argue that Virtual Studio is better.

Did you mean Visual Studio?:)
closed account (G309216C)
Hi,

The term "program" is not ideal\correct the technical and more used term is IDE which is acronym for Integrated Development Environment.
It is matter of personal preference and complexity of a project. If any of your upcoming\planned projects are going to be bigger than 20,000+ lines, it should be Visual Studio, the reason is it has the best debugging tools available commercially.

If you are going create projects which is not commercial and for private use and medium-to-small in size, Code::Blocks would be great.

As matter of fact Code::Blocks allows commercial development as well without additional payment therefore it is fantastic for small companies who develop utilities.
The down-side of Visual Studio is that the you are not allowed to do commercial development without license.

As you are not savvy C++ programmer I suggest you get Code::Blocks because at the moment the Visual Studio debugging interface and tools will confuse you and make you highly dependent of Visual Studio because Intellisense will auto-complete words and make you very "spoilt". Trust me.

I use Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate & Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate for my Development purposes.

But I will strongly recommend you will use Code::Blocks.

I do not see why you do not use Dev C++ as matter of fact I used it first time I began learning C++ and Dev C++ offers the best option for newbies.

GL
Last edited on

@vlad from moscow

Did you mean Visual Studio?:)

ROFL, my apologies, I can't believe I messed up the name.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.