CO-OP Beginners Coding Project!

Intro:
I find the best way for me to grasp a basic understanding of C++ is too learn small pieces and then manipulate what I learned. This also makes it a lot easier to remember.

Having a bunch of beginner programmers work together could be beneficial to everyone involved as we can feed off each others knowledge this also provides more motivation because it is a team effort.

Idea:
Just throwing this idea out there but would anyone like to start a project together? What that project will be would be decided with every "Team Member". It would have to be something we all agree on. This is a Beginners coding project. That being said this will probably be a console based program. Something that we can all grasp.

Prerequisites (Your Knowledge so far of C++):
Commenting your code excessively and in great detail is required.
Willing to learn and giving it your best effort is required.
We want passionate team members that dream of becoming a C++ master!

A minimum level of C++ knowledge is required and that is everything covered in this Video tutorial playlist up until video 55 Polymorphism:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAE85DE8440AA6B83

If you have a far broader grasp then what is shown in the above tutorial you can still join the project but with some rules:

- Try to avoid using any code that is not explained in the above video tutorial. If you use any code that is in video 55+ make a comment linking to the appropriate video.

- If you are convinced the project could benefit with the use of code that is not in the tutorial, You must provide a good well written easy to understand explanation on what that code is and how it works. (Maybe a link to an external tutorial)

- If you join this project and admit that you have a far greater grasp on C++ then the rest of us please be ready for questions from the other members. In short be prepared to take on a "Teacher" like role.

Coders Anxiety:
Please do not refuse to join this project in fear you are coding Messy or Wrong. This is not a test or a job just a learning experience! No one will be mad or judge you for the code you write! at most maybe a more experienced user will offer a more effective way to code that section!

Team Members:
The maximum number of members will be 5.
This is in part because we will be using bitbucket.org to host the project and they only provide free hosting up to 5 members.

We will be using Git to code the project together.
If you don`t know what git is or how to use it that is fine I will help you set it up and explain how to use it.

Computer Requirements:
- Windows OS
- Visual C++ 2010 Express ( http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9709949 )
- Internet Connection

Please comment below!
Last edited on
habbah wrote:
Just throwing this idea out there but would anyone like to start a project together? What that project will be would be decided with every "Team Member". It would have to be something we all agree on.

When you do get a team, this part of the process will take the longest. Would be better if you already have an idea then you guys can work on that one. When it is finished, everyone has an idea of the strengths of the other, then making plans for future projects is easier because you already finished one as a T.E.A.M
i think i can handle myself up until Polymorphism.
i'm not much experienced in STL yet.

and i would like to have a team experience.

there's one tiny problem though:
you can't work on a project you don't know.
and it's hard to get 5 randomly selected programmers to agree on one idea.

count me in.

PS: can you post the official download site for Git.
The project itself doesn't even really matter it's about learning.
And we are severely limited on what we can even make in a console based application lol.
I'm thinking just a text based adventure where the user had to
Make simple decisions but each decision has multiple outcomes.
Maybe even make the user have health ect...
count me in.
i'd like to have the experience of team work.

please keep me updated on any news via PM.
I might be interested in joining as well.
And we are severely limited on what we can even make in a console based application lol.

I think adding 2D graphics and some sound FX with SFML wouldn't hurt (or at least a GUI) ^^
Yeah if we could get someone to explain it too us and maybe link a tut. lol
It's pretty simple, these tuts are great for learning the basics if you're interested in sfml
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAbkFY6lwAY&list=SPHJE4y54mpC5j_x90UkuoMZOdmmL9-_rg

Edit: A few comments would probably suffice though, some people might not wanna watch 7 hours of tutorials ;)
Last edited on
Count on me ;)

Just saying that, i don't think I'll be useful or i may not have the knowledge. but if you have lack of members so count me in.

Kidding I'm not that bad.
Never gotten into sfml myself, but if you guys are interested, here is a link to some begginer stuff one might try who just started learning sfml

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/854/what-are-good-games-to-earn-your-wings-with
I'm starting SFML just today

Another good tutorials:
http://sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.1/start-cb.php
Is there still room for me? If so, count me in.
If there is a room I would like to join.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.